Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Retrieving dataset structure and report source tables from the Rest API

Hello,

I am in the process of developing an application that lists the reports of a group, the associated datasets as well as the tables of these datasets that are used to generate the reports. The goal is to have an overview in a tool parallel to PowerBI. I go through the Rest API by authenticating my application through the Client Credentials method. I am able to retrieve the list of reports and the associated dataset id and name, but I can't find any way to retrieve more information. Is there a way around this limitation? Is there an alternative to the Rest API that allows me to retrieve more information? Or maybe the data I can retrieve from the API depends on my subscription?

Thank you !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You are in luck in that there is a new Scanner API that has been released where you can get all this information, here are the details: Announcing Scanner API (Admin REST APIs) enhancements to include dataset tables, columns, measures, DAX expressions, and mashup queries | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You are in luck in that there is a new Scanner API that has been released where you can get all this information, here are the details: Announcing Scanner API (Admin REST APIs) enhancements to include dataset tables, columns, measures, DAX expressions, and mashup queries | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Is it possible to use the new Scanner API endpoints without being a full Global or Power BI admin? 

I work in a large organization and manage around 25 workspaces with a lot of dataflows and datasets/reports, but I'm not a Power BI Admin in the tenant.  I'm using the other API endpoints in our environment successfully, so I would like to know if it's even possible for me to use the new Scanner APIs before putting in the request. 

Thanks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow what a great coincidence ! I will explore this way, thank you !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors