Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Retrieving dataset structure and report source tables from the Rest API

Hello,

I am in the process of developing an application that lists the reports of a group, the associated datasets as well as the tables of these datasets that are used to generate the reports. The goal is to have an overview in a tool parallel to PowerBI. I go through the Rest API by authenticating my application through the Client Credentials method. I am able to retrieve the list of reports and the associated dataset id and name, but I can't find any way to retrieve more information. Is there a way around this limitation? Is there an alternative to the Rest API that allows me to retrieve more information? Or maybe the data I can retrieve from the API depends on my subscription?

Thank you !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You are in luck in that there is a new Scanner API that has been released where you can get all this information, here are the details: Announcing Scanner API (Admin REST APIs) enhancements to include dataset tables, columns, measures, DAX expressions, and mashup queries | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You are in luck in that there is a new Scanner API that has been released where you can get all this information, here are the details: Announcing Scanner API (Admin REST APIs) enhancements to include dataset tables, columns, measures, DAX expressions, and mashup queries | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Is it possible to use the new Scanner API endpoints without being a full Global or Power BI admin? 

I work in a large organization and manage around 25 workspaces with a lot of dataflows and datasets/reports, but I'm not a Power BI Admin in the tenant.  I'm using the other API endpoints in our environment successfully, so I would like to know if it's even possible for me to use the new Scanner APIs before putting in the request. 

Thanks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow what a great coincidence ! I will explore this way, thank you !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors