Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mike_Sims
Regular Visitor

Retrieving data from a local server using 'Folder' data source type. Result DataSource.NotFound

Hi all,

I'm realatively new to power bi so I'm likely to have missed something basic.

For some context:

My Power Bi report draws data from excel files located in a folder on our companies local server.

Prior to the below I had already downloaded the enterprise on premise gateway (not the personal mode).

I have been given admisnitrator access rights to our server.

I have added myself as administrator to the gateway cluster.

So,

Once i published this report to our workspace app I created our gateway cluster - tested it and it shows online (with the green tick)

I then went to add the data source to the foler on our server.

I added the data source name (named the same as my report), selected 'folder' under data source type, copy and pasted the file path, entered my user name and password and clicked 'add'

This error comes up:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance.

I am not sure whay this is happening as I think I have followed all the steps correctly.

Note - A previous employee (who has since left) had created the exact same report and had it working using an on-premise gateway (personal mode).  The source data has not changed and the report is the same.  The only difference is that I am using the enterprise gateway as I was told this would be better as we have multiple users that may need to create reports and conncet to data sources in future.  I'm now wondering if i need to have the personal mode of the gateway to allow access to retrieve data from a folder that is located on a local server...???

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Mike_Sims
Regular Visitor

After doing some further research of my own, I found out that I needed to download the gateway onto the server directly however after downloading the on-premise (enterprise) gateway onto the server I still had the same problem as before, i.e. cannot find folder path. 

So after no luck with that I downloaded the personal mode of the gateway onto the server and created a server power bi user and this has worked.  This is not ideal as we are a company that needs the collaborative ability that comes with the on-premise (enterprise) gateway but I can't find any answers to this issue so until I do it will have to do.

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Mike_Sims ,

Based on my research, you may check with your user name and password and you could refer to below links that may help for you:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Gateway-cannot-connect-to-data-source-on-desktop/idi-p/45918...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Unable-to-connect-This-data-source-cannot-connect-to-all-gat...

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have restarted the gateway connection as per the recommendations and the error is still coming up.  Im also pretty sure my credentials are right.

I have attached a screen shot of the error details:PBi.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors