cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Retrieving data from SharePoint causing throttling errors

I have a report that gathers data from a bunch of SharePoint files. (In fact, I have a lot of reports that gather data from SharePoint files.) However, this report will be working and then suddenly fail with a SharePoint Request Failed (contextinfo). At the same time, if you visit the SharePoint site, (or any site in my tenancy) you get the throttle message. All other throttling effects happen too, like the inability to upload via OneDrive. It appears to me that the Power Bi requests are causing the throttling issue - has anyone else run into this?

throttle.png

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted

Hi @v-lid-msft ,

API 15 is already specified, and has been for some time.

This is the limitation that Power BI is triggering. Power BI doesn't report anything other than request failed, but if I visit the site using the credentials used by Power BI, I get the throttle.htm error message.

Highlighted

Hi @hansei ,

It maybe a issue with this connector, But sorry for that, We cannot reproduce the issue here and also not found an effective solution. We suggest you to open a ticket here for help if you are a pro user: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Support Ticket .gif

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted

I have the same throttling problem with PowerBI refreshes.

I can reproduce the problem in both PowerBI refreshes or PowerQuery refreshes in Excel.

I have narrowed it down to the following condition: When I Table.Combine or Table.NestedJoin on data sources that were different at the outset. eg. SharePoint combined or joined with an Excel table.

I haven't found anything that works to improve the situation though.

Highlighted

@Andrew501, thanks for your insight. 

In my case, all sources are sharepoint, although there are a few combines and joins

Highlighted

I have the same issue (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Avoid-throttling-when-loading-from-SharePoint-folder/m-p/12....
I have some joins in the load. Were you able to work around this limitation?

Highlighted

Not as yet. Project was shelved, but will be returned to. Did you find that the Binary.Buffer() trick worked? I could actually reproduce the problem after opening just a single file.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Have you found a solution for this? 
I'm trying to create a report on a SP list with ~30k items and I keep getting throttled.  I can pull the data into a report but the problems start when I try to change field types or expand columns (Modified by).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors