Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mthsdiniz
Frequent Visitor

Retention Policy for PowerBI Rest API not working

Hello guys,

I'm trying to use the PowerBI Rest API to create a live connection that update's the data everytime a new register is added on my oracle database...

I've created a streaming dataset with the "Historic Data Analisys" on, although i'm having trouble with the retention policy of this dataset.... Reading the Rest API documentation is said that the standard Retention Policy is FIFO, which would delete the first rows whenever i tried to push data into a 200k rows + dataset, although my dataset already contains 523627 rows and is causing me troubles limitind my push requests to 120 an hour.

Does anyway knows how to set / verify my retention policy or how to execute a DELETE action on this type of dataset?

Thanks!

DataSet2.JPGDataSet.JPG

CountIDNumber.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mthsdiniz ,

For use power bi rest api, you need to register on azure side first.

Register an Azure AD application to use with Power BI

Then you need to find out correspond guid of your dataset.(you can navigate to that dataset to find out this key)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mthsdiniz ,

AFAIK, REST API not able to effect streaming dataset records.(they not real stored in dataset tabels)
If you turn on Historic option, power bi will record history data from streaming dataset, you can try to use 'Datasets Delete Rows' API to remove these history records.

Push Datasets - Datasets DeleteRows

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hey @v-shex-msft

I tried to use this command but the powershell says that this command is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet...

DELETE : The term 'DELETE' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

I'm using power bi through my Organization (Cargill), so i do not have any Organization admin rights on power bi, i only have a premium workspace, although if admin rights are needed i can chat with the team responsible for that.

What should i do?

Hi @mthsdiniz ,

For use power bi rest api, you need to register on azure side first.

Register an Azure AD application to use with Power BI

Then you need to find out correspond guid of your dataset.(you can navigate to that dataset to find out this key)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors