Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

aJ2
Helper I
Helper I

Restricting access with common login information

Hi.

I am currently using a common login credential for the full team and so everyone is able to edit the reports created. 

How can I restrict the use of this access where only a few select people are able to edit the reports. 

Eg:- There are 10 people in my team and we all have a common credential to view the reports online. Now out of the 10, I want that only 3 of them can edit the reports and the other 7 should not be able to edit.

Kindly guide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @aJ2,

No. It is not possible to disable edit permission for certain users which share the common credential with others.

For a single log in account, we can only grant one type permission (edit or view only) to it. Besides, the Power BI service is not able to identify each logged user since they use the same credential. They will be recognized as a same person.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @aJ2,

No. It is not possible to disable edit permission for certain users which share the common credential with others.

For a single log in account, we can only grant one type permission (edit or view only) to it. Besides, the Power BI service is not able to identify each logged user since they use the same credential. They will be recognized as a same person.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you so much Yuliana.

One more thing to clarify.

I have a credential, I create some dashboards and publish it online.

I have shared the those dashboards with another credential where they can read the reports but not edit it. Is it possible for them to import the dataset used in the dashboards shared to create their own reports?

Eg:- I have a dataset A and created dashboard ZZZ with my credentials '******'. I have shared dashboard ZZZ with another credential '######' where they can read the reports but not edit it. Now someone having credential '######' wants to create a new dasboard BBB in PowerBI Desktop importing dataset A using PBI Service. Is it possible?

Hi @aJ2,

No. Those recipients are not able to access the dataset of the shared dashboard. They have read only permission to dashboard tiles and related reports.

For your requirement, you could share your dashboard/report/dataset via content pack. Once they get the content pack, they can "make a copy", then, they could generate their own report based on the dataset you shared with.

Alternatively, you can create an App Workspace, publish your reports to this workspace rather than "My Workspace". Add those users to App Workspace and grant different permission to them. Members with read only permission can only view report.dashboard. Members with edit permission can edit report/dashboard, also, they could connect to dataset stored in this workspace from Power BI desktop to create new reports.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

@v-yulgu-msft

Thank you so much Yuliana!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors