Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BSLATTER
Helper III
Helper III

Restricting access to Service like you would Outlook?

Hi all,

We're looking at using Power BI Service but have a couple issues around securing the data.

We use Intune management to manage the Power BI Mobile App and that is working well.

However we find that we can still have users download .pbix files off network on their local machines.

I know conditional access exists and we are looking at setting that up - but my fear is that would disable use of the Power BI Mobile app.

Is there a way to block downloading .pbix/data to excel off-network without completing blocking the tool?

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BSLATTER ,

If you want to disable the feature "Export to pbix file" or "Export data", we can disable it for entire organization or only enable it for special user/group in Admin Portal.

11.PNG12.PNG13.PNG14.PNG

Based on this document,  There are a few important considerations and limitations associated with downloading a .pbix file from the Power BI service.

• To download the file, you must have edit access to the report.
  • If your administrator has turned off the ability to download data, this feature won't be visible in the Power BI service.

And based on this documentThese limitations and considerations apply to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service, including Power BI Pro and Premium.

We can also disable these features by removing the edit premission from user( For examlpe set them as Contributor in New App Workspace).

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

hi there

WHat I would suggest doing, is to share the reports with users via an App. This would mean that the users can access the data online and via the mobile app.

The difference is when sharing via an App it is read only and they do not have an option to download the file. Make sure when you share via the app that you do not allow the build permissions to the users.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors