Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gemgorey
Advocate I
Advocate I

Restrict the dataset publishing options...

Hi all!

So I don't think this is possible, but thought I would check 🙂

I have a golden dataset in its own little golden workspace, all nice and safe.

I have a BA workspace with all my chained datasets and reports that I produce that all update nicely when I refresh my golden dataset.

I am a member of another workspace set up by my business which has everyone in it.  There is one report I still have to publish there that isn't from my golden dataset so I need access.

Every day I get the fear that I am publishing the golden dataset to the public workspace.  Every day I check, heart in my mouth.  And thank god I haven't yet!  But, I know it's so easy to do - The dialogue box doesn't really help!

What I want is a setting where I can click to restrict the dataset from being published to any other workspace other than the golden workspace. The dialogue box isn't enough - I feel like I need more protection here.  Is there some hidden setting I haven't found?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MAwwad
Super User
Super User

It sounds like you want to restrict the ability to publish your golden dataset to other workspaces. Unfortunately, there is no built-in setting to restrict the publishing of a dataset to specific workspaces in Power BI. One potential solution would be to create a separate user account for publishing the golden dataset, and restrict access to that account to only the necessary individuals. Another option is to use Power BI's Row-level security to limit access to the dataset to only specific users or roles. However, it's important to note that both of these solutions have their own limitations and trade-offs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MAwwad
Super User
Super User

It sounds like you want to restrict the ability to publish your golden dataset to other workspaces. Unfortunately, there is no built-in setting to restrict the publishing of a dataset to specific workspaces in Power BI. One potential solution would be to create a separate user account for publishing the golden dataset, and restrict access to that account to only the necessary individuals. Another option is to use Power BI's Row-level security to limit access to the dataset to only specific users or roles. However, it's important to note that both of these solutions have their own limitations and trade-offs.

Hi and thanks for your response,

I didn't think there was a way! I already have roles setup for the dataset but wasn't sure if this would work if I accidentally published it somewhere else. Another user account would work possibly, but I'm constantly in and out of all the files so would need to remember to switch.

I'll just have to be careful! 

thanks 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors