Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bheepatel
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Restrict Dataset Access

Hi

I have an app that I have launched and given multiple users access to it. I understand the way Row-Level Security (RLS) works and I am currently using it to restrict data access for those users so that they can only see what relates to them.

However, the problem I have is that a user can use that dataset that relates to them and create their own reports/dashboards. Is there a way to restrict their access to that dataset so they cannot create new reports/dashboards? Basically what I am asking is, is there a way that when you launch an app, the user can still access the report but not the dataset?

Thanks in advance for your help! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi bheepatel,

It seems that you want to limit users to reuse dataset when they get reports  from app, right?

If so, you could try to clear the option to Allow users to connect to the app's underlying datasets in app permission( for existing app users, permissions on the underlying datasets don't change. You can remove the Build permission manually from app users who should no longer have it) to see whether it works or not.  You could refer to Publish an app in Power BI for details.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi bheepatel,

It seems that you want to limit users to reuse dataset when they get reports  from app, right?

If so, you could try to clear the option to Allow users to connect to the app's underlying datasets in app permission( for existing app users, permissions on the underlying datasets don't change. You can remove the Build permission manually from app users who should no longer have it) to see whether it works or not.  You could refer to Publish an app in Power BI for details.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors