Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cognosben
Frequent Visitor

Restrict Access to Dataset

Hi, 

I have created a report based on our personell database. It's ok that certain people have access to the report. The report contains filtered information only. But it's not ok that the same people have access to the dataset for the report. This dataset contains tons of confidential information. 

How can I give people access to the report and still restrict all access for anyone to see any data in the Dataset? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Cognosben You need to apply Row Level Security. BTW, I would suggest you stop sharing the report, because if all you did was share the report with filters applied, end users can remove the filters and see everything in the report. It doesn't "save" that way, but they can modify the filters you apply.

RLS is the only secure way to manage what people see in a combined dataset.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Cognosben You need to apply Row Level Security. BTW, I would suggest you stop sharing the report, because if all you did was share the report with filters applied, end users can remove the filters and see everything in the report. It doesn't "save" that way, but they can modify the filters you apply.

RLS is the only secure way to manage what people see in a combined dataset.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous There is now with the new filter pane. You can both lock and hide the filters, but it applies to the entire report, it isn't user based.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors