Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

msprog
Helper II
Helper II

Reshare permision - Report reshare and Datset reshare

Hello,

I need some clarity on this permission please

Is the reshare permission applied to the Dataset or the Report? or are there 2 different Reshare permissions: one for the Report and other for the dataset. 

Please let me explain. 

Looking at this link, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-permissions

my understanding was the Reshare permission was applied at the dataset. 

Then you have this concept of sharing a Report to other users -> When sharing, you can grant them permission to inturn share the report with other users.  My understanding was when you share a report with another user with 'Allow receipients to share this report', this other user gets reshare permission on the reports dataset. 

My confusion comes from this article here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-dashboards#link-settings

Please check the third item on the Additional Considerations at the link above.

• If you have reshare permissions to the report but you don't have reshare permissions to the report’s underlying data, your shareable links won't give access to the underlying data.

Please can someone clarify this for me? Underlying data , i have assumed as the reports underlying dataset. How can you have reshare permission on a report but not on the report's dataset. 

Please assist. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @msprog ,
For reshare on both report and its dataset, please check both the checkboxes seen in my previous reply.

Also for safer side, the user to whom you are providing this access needs have either Member or Admin role in workspace.

Please check this link for detailed knowledge of Power BI report sharing.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png  

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

Proud To Be a Super User !!!
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @msprog ,

Underlying data , i have assumed as the reports underlying dataset.
Yes, underlying data means Underlying dataset.

How can you have reshare permission on a report but not on the report's dataset.

You can reshare only the report and not its dataset by using below option:
reshare.PNG

Why is this option available?

Many reports can be created on a single dataset by using the Power BI dataset live connection.

Hence many times the users need only access to specific report(s) and not the complete dataset to be exported and played around. 

Also, many users just need access to report that developers create to make analytical analysis and derive decisions without knowledge of complete data.

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

LinkedIn

Hey @Anand24  thanks for this. 

Thanks for this. I have a follow up question please:

How do i give reshare permission on both the report and the dataset?  Please assist

thanks 

Hi @msprog ,
For reshare on both report and its dataset, please check both the checkboxes seen in my previous reply.

Also for safer side, the user to whom you are providing this access needs have either Member or Admin role in workspace.

Please check this link for detailed knowledge of Power BI report sharing.

LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors