Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vishy86
Post Patron
Post Patron

Reset to Default option is not resetting the report to default view as designed in PBI Desktop

Hi,

I have a table report with the ability to view the report based on 4 different Year viz. Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 and Year 4 using bookmarks and action buttons. There is a default view to view the report which is by Year 1. The bookmarks work fine and point to the default view Year 1 as designed in PBI Desktop.

However, in PBI Service, lets say if a user changes the table report view from default Year 1 to view by, let's say, Year 2 and then clicks on "Reset to Default", the table report does not rest to view by Year 1 which is the default view.

Please let me know where I am missing something.

Regards,

Vishy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

As far as I am currently aware bookmarks would override the Persistent filters, because a bookmark is not a filter.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
vishy86
Post Patron
Post Patron

I also want to add another scenario wherein users select filters provided in report level filters. But since the default view is defined in a specific way, lets say to view by Year 1, if I apply a report level filter and select to view by Year 2 and navigate to another version of the report, for which the default view is set to view by Year 1, the applied filters and view by year selection does not get carried forward.

How to tackle this? The default view of the report versions are to be by Year 1 but incase filters and other view by year options are selected in service, the navigation should carry over the filters and override the default view.

Hi there

The persistent filters only apply to each report.

If you have 2 different reports, it will remember the individual filters on each report.

With regards to the reset to default not working where it takes it back to show Year 1, that should work.

Have a look in the report settings to make sure that "Persistent Filters" is enabled.

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilbert,

Persistent filters is unchecked.

I mean the box which says "Don't allow the end user to save filters on this file in the Power BI service" is unchecked, which is what it should be. Please correct if I am wrong.

Despite this, the default view does not set correctly for all versions of the report, coincidentally for some versions it does and for some it does not. This is a bit weird.

Anything else I need to look at?

Regards,

Vishy

HI there

Are people using different browsers?

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilbert,

I rectified the issue regarding the default view. The issue was that when I last saved my PBI Desktop file, published into the workspace and app, it took the last saved view as the default view. So during testing of my bookmarks, I had changed the default view and saved the file as is.

Hence, the Reset to Default option was showing me how the file was last saved and published into the app. I edited the file and changed all the report versions to the desired default view and then saved and published the report. It worked fine. So I am good with that.

PENDING ISSUE

However, one issue that still remains is the user can change the view by year from default Year 1 to, let's say, Year 2 as desired along with some report level filters. When he navigates to another version of the report, he wants the version to show the data with the applied report level filters and view by Year 2. In short, the user applied filters should override the default view in the event of user updates.

But bookmarks will always point to the default view set which is by Year 1. So currently, the user is viewing another version of the report with the report level filters applied but the view by is Year 1 and not Year 2. 

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks & Regards,

Vishy

Hi there

As far as I am currently aware bookmarks would override the Persistent filters, because a bookmark is not a filter.

Power BI Blog

Yes Gilbert, I am noticing that as well, you seem correct. Bookmarks are overriding the user updated changes.

I might have to change my home page layout in that case to facilitate the navigation within reports with the applied user filters as desired by the user. Let me try that out and see if it serves my purpose.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Vishy 

Hi @vishy86 

If you've fixed the issue on your own please kindly share your solution. if the above posts help, please kindly mark it as a solution to help others find it more quickly.thanks!

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors