Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

masterl

Resell Power BI

Hi guys,

Short version: 

How do you package reports created and hosted on Power BI to resell to users that subscribe to you, not Microsoft?

(Very) Long Version:

I hope this is the right section to ask this. If not, I apologise profusely. 

I have been collecting publicly available market data over time for analysis.

The goal is to create analytics based on this data and charge relevant users for consumption of the reports. The reports are very industry specific and are therefore for targeted customers.

After going through a few alternatives I settled on Power BI especially because of the many features and ease of use in the desktop version. 

However, I'm not sure how to implement the next challenge: onboarding and charging customers for accessing the reports

I intend to have 3 levels of access: 

a) Lite version - lightweight reports that can be accessed for free or at a nominal fee

b) Pro version - advanced reports to be accessible at a higher cost

c) Premium version - Pro plus additional features that may be customised per customer, e.g. more refined datasets, etc

It would be awesome if the restriction to data can be applied at login time so that I share one dataset with a column for user_access_level and when a user logs in a where condition is automatically applied. This is not a big deal though: I will create different datasets for each access level.

As you can see, I will control the levels of access and subscription rates. I should be able to cancel or deny login to a customer once his/her subscription period is over.

The little reading I've done mentions being an Office 365 admin. I don't intend to buy 365, and I honestly don't see how the two are connected. Some others are talking about embedding in application or website from Azure. Well, I don't have an application or website. The PowerBI UI is good enough for me. 

So, given the above, what options do I have?

I know about some BI companies that give you a report server on the cloud (AWS, mostly) but their report tooling is not so great

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could make use of Row Level Security to create 3 different license groups.  As an aside, are you aware of the Pro/Free changes coming June 1?

Thank you @Anonymous

I will explore the row level security. Especially how the license groups work MS individual user licenses.

>>As an aside, are you aware of the Pro/Free changes coming June 1?

I am not 😞 Will the changes offer what I'm looking for? It's just a few days away so I will keep checking.

Thanks again for pointing me to the right direction.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors