Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reports suddenly won't refresh...claimining I need a data gateway...but used to work fine

I have two reports that I published a week ago, and they have been refreshing fine, multiple times a day on schedule up until two days ago.  The scheduled refresh is now disabled, and the error is claiming that I need a "Gateway" to get it to refresh again.  I've never had a gateway running before, and I'm not really sure what's going on here.

The only data sources I have in my report are a few websources from Wikipedia...I'm not sure why these would suddenly need a gateway?  I have other reports that have similar web sources in them and they all refresh fine. 

I have deleted the reports from PowerBI service and reuploaded them, renamed them, deleted them, and added them again.  Still same behaviour.  This is only on my two latest reports.  I have a dozen other reports that are all refreshing fine...

Any thoughts? 

PS:  I have opened a support ticket and the response I got was to install a personal gateway...which I think kind of misses the point here...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

While this data source literally worked a week ago, for whatever reason it decided to stop refreshing and require a gateway: 

Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_codes"))

Seems fairly random and arbitrary, but now I know.  Removed those data sources and it's working fine without a gateway again.  

This data source can obviously work without a gateway, as it worked fine for me for a week at least.  I wonder why they choose to block it and require a gateway...

Seems the "Web.Page" web.contents is the culprit.  If i do a "Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents..." this still works fine without a gateway.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a screenshot of the error I have been getting...

error.png

Hi @Anonymous

It seems you may try to install the on-premise data gateway.For further,please refer to below post.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Trouble-avoiding-gateway-installations-for-scheduled-refreshes/td-p/256787

Regards,
Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

While this data source literally worked a week ago, for whatever reason it decided to stop refreshing and require a gateway: 

Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_codes"))

Seems fairly random and arbitrary, but now I know.  Removed those data sources and it's working fine without a gateway again.  

This data source can obviously work without a gateway, as it worked fine for me for a week at least.  I wonder why they choose to block it and require a gateway...

Seems the "Web.Page" web.contents is the culprit.  If i do a "Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents..." this still works fine without a gateway.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors