Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

syasmin25
Helper V
Helper V

Reports running very slow

Hi, 

I am having issues in trying to open any report from our workspace. It has been taking very long lately. I was wondering what could the possible issue be here? It is running smoothly on the desktop file however, whenever I try to open it from the workspace, it runs really slow. Same applies to guest users on the workspace.

11 REPLIES 11
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @syasmin25 

Inefficient design of reports can lead to these problems. Report pages contain too many visuals (interactive filtering can trigger at least one query per visual). Visuals retrieve more data than necessary. 

Solution: Redesign reports with fewer visuals per page.

High memory usage may be a result of insufficient capacity resources.

Solution: Decrease the model size, or convert to DirectQuery mode; Scale-up the capacity; Assign the content to a different capacity.

Regarding the optimization model. 

At the datasource layer:

• The datasource can be optimized to ensure the fastest possible querying by pre-integrating data (which is not possible at the model layer), applying appropriate indexes, defining table partitions, materializing summarized data (with indexed views), and minimizing the amount of calculation. The best experience is achieved when pass-through queries need only filter and perform inner joins between indexed tables or views.
  • Ensure that gateways have enough resources, preferably on dedicated machines, with sufficient network bandwidth and in close proximity to the datasource.

At the model layer:

• Power Query query designs should preferably apply no transformations - otherwise attempt to keep transformations to an absolute minimum.
  • Model query performance can be improved by configuring single direction relationships unless there is a compelling reason to allow bi-directional filtering. Also, model relationships should be configured to assume referential integrity is enforced (when this is the case) and will result in datasource queries using more efficient inner joins (instead of outer joins).
  • Avoid creating Power Query query custom columns or model calculated column - materialize these in the datasource, when possible.
  • There may be opportunity to tune DAX expressions for measures and RLS rules, perhaps rewriting logic to avoid expensive formulas.

This is the relevant document, hope to help you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/admin/service-premium-capacity-optimize 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

wouterDefour
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue the last few days.
Reports are opening very slow.

Hi @wouterDefour ,

I'm having too the same issue since Monday approximately.

Have you find a solution to this problem ?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @syasmin25 

Are you using Power BI Premium at all or just Power BI pro?

And is your model using a star schema?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

The weird thing is that for example, I looked into the usage metrics report for one of the  reports and this is what I see. 

syasmin25_0-1644357586729.png

However, it is taking over 10 mins lately for all users. 

Hi @syasmin25 

I would look into the Premuim Metrics App to see if the capacity is being overloaded?

That would be my assumption and that is why the reports are slow because other reports have to be evicted before your report can then be loaded into memory.

What you could do if the report is not to big, upload it to a Power BI Pro app workspace and see if the performance is good there. If it is then there is an issue with your Premium Capacity.

Power BI Blog

Hi, 

Thank you so much for your response, after testing, we were able to determine that it was issues with  high query lag and memory usage. I was wondering what steps can mostly cause this issue? 
Is it performing a lot of the steps in query editor or the dax calculations that does a lot of lookup? Or would it be snowflake schema?

Hi @syasmin25 

This appears to be both a data model challenge where you need to model your data in a star schema with facts and dims.

This will then allow your DAX measures to be easier and simple to create the calculations. The combination of both of these will mean much faster queries using less memory!

Power BI Blog

We use PowerBI Premium and most of the reports have star schema.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @syasmin25 

Could it be your connection might be slow to the Power BI Service?

Power BI Blog

Thank you so much for the prompt response. I was thinking about that, however, I do not really know how to exactly determine that. Users from other locations within the same city are also having issues while trying to load the reports. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors