Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DominikRich
Regular Visitor

Reports in shared Dashboard are not visible

Hi,

i shared my dashboard (my license is Power BI Pro) to an external user email account as shown in many Tutorials and Videos. The external user gets the e-mail with the link to the dashboard. Visiting the link there is the dashboard shown - but the reports in it are not visable. Can someone please help me with this problem?

I tried a lot of different ways to solve this problem without success. The dashboard the external user is looking at is 100% the one i shared with the reports in it. If I enable/disable the Q&A for example it is shown in the dashboard in lifetime. If the external uses the Q&A he can show the datasets.

shared_dashboard.JPG

Hope for your answer!

Reguards, Dominik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DominikRich The licensing changed in June. It is possible your clients were grandfathered into a year long Pro "Trial", but expect that to end. Any new users are only eligible for a 60 day Pro "Trial" after that, they won't see anything.

You either need to pay for the Pro license for them and use something like the newly released Azure B2B, buy Premium, or they need to carry their own Pro license. There is no way to share anything with a Free user license. (Not the "Pro Trial", because that acts like a full license for a limited time).

Long/Short. They need a Pro license somehow in order to view any reports you share.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jbaideme
Advocate II
Advocate II

Any answer on this? "Freeware" could be the free Pro trial...
I've been having this issue for the past few months. I have a Pro license, I'm trying to share with a Pro trial user outside my organization. They receive the email, but the dashboard contains no tiles. They can, however, access the data through Q&A. 
What's more frustrating is that they had previously been able to view the Dashboard and corresponding report.

I'm all ears if anyone has any ideas.

angova
Frequent Visitor

Hi there,

I have the same issue. I realized that on the right side of the dashboard's name appears a lock. Any idea about it?

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DominikRich,

With sharing, whether you share content inside or outside your organization, you and your recipients need a Power BI Pro license, or the content needs to be in a Premium capacity. Please check whether those external users you shared dashboarded with are Pro users.

Besides, did all external users or just specific users can't view the shared dashboard in your scenario?

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft, Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

i got a Pro license, the external users only use the freeware of Power BI. But the externals only need to view and interact with the reports, no editing. In my opinion this is possible even after the update. Am I wrong with that?

This scenario is with all the external users I invice, they all use the freeware.

Regards,

Dominik Rich

@DominikRich The licensing changed in June. It is possible your clients were grandfathered into a year long Pro "Trial", but expect that to end. Any new users are only eligible for a 60 day Pro "Trial" after that, they won't see anything.

You either need to pay for the Pro license for them and use something like the newly released Azure B2B, buy Premium, or they need to carry their own Pro license. There is no way to share anything with a Free user license. (Not the "Pro Trial", because that acts like a full license for a limited time).

Long/Short. They need a Pro license somehow in order to view any reports you share.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Sorry @Seth_C_Bauer, but this can´t be the answer.

I invited a external person last week for testing and he registered fiest time to power bi last week.

When he uses the inviting-link the dashboard is empty, too. As i told in my first post.

The funny thing is: If he uses Q&A to search for data ha can show tables and build own visualisations with the dataset of the share.

This User has Power Bi FREE! How can anyone explain this?

muster_qa.JPG

@DominikRich If that truely is the case, and he does not have a Trial account, then this is a bug.

The answer is correct. Under no circumstance should a user be able to share or see shared content within the PBI Service without a paid license of some sort. (Pro/Premium)

@Seth_C_Bauerok, thank you very much for your answers.

@DominikRich Does the external user have a Pro license? Did they sign up/in the first time prior to recieving the share, or did you share before they signed up the first time?

I've continually run into issues if I share with people prior to them having logged in at least 1x.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors