Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

cren
Frequent Visitor

Reports and dashboards not visually updating after a scheduled data refresh

Hello All,

I have recently been experimenting with trying to find the optimal way to create a live (or at least very frequently updated) dashboard of survey data for prospective clients. I have found streaming API to not meet all the expectations enough, so I have recently tried using a different method. Using a google sheet, I continously add data from SurveyMonkey and then from Power BI Desktop I used this as a Web data source to create a report. I subsequently published it to Powerbi.com and made a dashboard.

Then on the web service, I set up my datagateway and scheduled a refresh every 30 minutes for my googsheets web data that was automatically added to my workspace after the publishing. 

The problem now is that my dataset appears to be refreshing just fine (I saw the scheduled refreshes and got no error emails), but it would appear that the visuals in my reports (and my dashboards) aren´t changing without a manual refresh. I try clicking to another report and clicking back and see no change. Even leaving the page and reloading it later does not change it. I need to actually manually refresh the report as well to see the new changes in the data reflected. Is this normal? I read that they should update automatically every 15 minutes. Am I not waiting long enough? 

Any information, or more importantly advice would be much appreciated. I just don´t want a client to be confused if they expect for results to be in and reflected in the dashboard visuals, only to see nothing.

Thanks

Captura.PNG

Note. I know that the refresh doesn´t finish exactly the moment I specify. But as shown here, it was was finished about 13 minutes after 3:00pm. I checked my report a few minutes after that time and saw nothing change.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I understand, the only option is the get them to hit the refresh button in the bar at the top, or cause the browser to initiate a refresh.  We are undertaking a project to display Power BI reports on TVs, and one of the potential solutions maybe to use a google chrome script to cause the page to refresh on set intervals.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Did you find a solution to this?

Thanks,

James

sampathkumar
Frequent Visitor

Hello cren ,

which browser you are using. Please go with Google Chrome let us know still if you are facing issue.

Hello Sampath,

Thank you for your reply.

I am using Google Chrome as my browser. It is strange, I can tell that the dashboard is trying to update, but it won´t without a manual refresh. If I open a new tab, go to powerbi.com and click on my dashboard, it flashes for a moment the updated data in the visuals. However, then it just reverts and I need to manually click refresh on the bar.

This is different than API streaming where my dashboard will visually update without any form of refreshing of even the page.

Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I understand, the only option is the get them to hit the refresh button in the bar at the top, or cause the browser to initiate a refresh.  We are undertaking a project to display Power BI reports on TVs, and one of the potential solutions maybe to use a google chrome script to cause the page to refresh on set intervals.

Hi, Im having a very similar problem than Cren, however if I refresh the brower doesnt seems to refresh the visuals. The only solution that I had is to manually click the refresh button to refresh the visuals. The same as Cren said I also work with clients and I do not want to confuse them.

Hello Ross,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Sorry for the late reply, this past weekend was a national holiday in Argentina.

Does microsoft or any other reputable source have tutorial on how to use a google chrome script? I have never done something of this nature and would like to learn how I can use it for this particular challenge/problem. Is it a rather elementary process? Any links or further information would be much appreciated.

Thank you once again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors