Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SJAP

Reports: Measurement field isn't dynamic?

Hi,

Me again.

On desktop version, if I add a measurement to the Power BI Data Model then it becomes dynamic and calculates on reports. I'm sure the icon next to the field was a little calculator.

On online version (which I'm currently restricted to at work), I add the measurement to the Excel Data Model (which is where the reports get data from) - but now Power BI Reports want to treat it like any other field (i.e. it wants to count, sum, average it rather than simply running it!). The icon next to it has become a globe (see screenshot below).

Capture.PNG

Is this only a feature available in Desktop, or do I have to do something different to make it work in the Online version?

As context... we're running a series of midnight CSV 'data dumps' into Sharepoint. I am using an Excel Spreadsheet (saved in the same Sharepoint directory) which uses Power Query to append these CSVs into separate queries, which are then linked via a person ID in the data model (using relationships). I've used Get Data to (hopefully) make a connection between Power BI and my Power Queries/Pivots - but please let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree with my approach here.

Thanks

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi all,

I figured it out... I'm such a newbie! I didn't appreciate the difference between a Calculated Column and a Measurement Column.

I deleted the calculation columns you see in the screenshot, and create a pivot table (using the Excel Data Model as a source). I then right clicked one of my tables (in the field-view sidebar) and clicked 'Add Measurement'. Followed the instructions from there, and now it behaves as expected.

Hope this helps anyone else new to Excel > BI Service -- always consider the difference between a calculated column and a mesaurement!

Thanks

Steve

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

It would appear that due to using the Online reporting experience you are not able to configure the properties for your field, which in turn means that you cannot change it in the Power BI Service.

What I would suggest doing is to see if you can change the underlying data type in your Excel file and if that works?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilbert,

Thank you for your reply.

I think the issue must be with my data model. I've changed the field from a straight DIVIDE of each individual row (where each student has their own attendance figure) to a calculate of the totals, and a filther on all selected, which I thought might solve it. Unfortunately it hasn't - the field still doesn't seem to be a calculate field in the table.

Here is my data model and the formula I used:

screenshot1.jpg

Here is how this is appearing in reports on Service:

Screenshot2.PNG

The issue seems to be that my calculate field in the data model isn't being understood proprly by Service. Which means I must be doing something daft, but I've spent several hours looking at this now and I can't figure out what?

Hi all,

I figured it out... I'm such a newbie! I didn't appreciate the difference between a Calculated Column and a Measurement Column.

I deleted the calculation columns you see in the screenshot, and create a pivot table (using the Excel Data Model as a source). I then right clicked one of my tables (in the field-view sidebar) and clicked 'Add Measurement'. Followed the instructions from there, and now it behaves as expected.

Hope this helps anyone else new to Excel > BI Service -- always consider the difference between a calculated column and a mesaurement!

Thanks

Steve

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors