Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jotaandres
Helper I
Helper I

Reports Datasets

When we create reports in Power BI we use TSQL and also M. One of the situations we are facing is how to know which tables/objects are being used on each report.

From time to time there are changes in our backend systems (table names column names, etc) that can potentially affect our SSRS reports and our Power BI reports.

For SSRS is easy to query the rdl file and find out if it is using a specific table. For Power BI I have not been able to find anything that can be applied to all reports so we know the reports that will be affected byt the system change.

Has anybody had this same situation? If so, how did you solve it?

Thanks in advance,,

Jorge Quintero

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jotaandres I've used both. As long as you have a way to create a layer between the code and the output you put yourself in a much better position to make these types of changes without impacting your front end reporting significantly.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@jotaandres First, I would recommend you start using views, that way you can make your changes and there will be no impact to the Power BI reports.

Second, the only way you are likely to get close to this would be using the APIs or Cmdlets... this blog may help.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-apis-and-powershell-cmdlets-for-power-bi-adminis...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks a lot for the info. We are also looking at using store procedures. Do you have experience on the pros and cons of using views vs store procedures?

The API link is very helpful but the admin side of things belongs to IT and I want to be as independant as possible form them. I'm looking for something more under my control.

@jotaandres I've used both. As long as you have a way to create a layer between the code and the output you put yourself in a much better position to make these types of changes without impacting your front end reporting significantly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors