Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HenrikSwe
Frequent Visitor

Report working in desktop but not in service - "This report couldn't access the data source"

Hi all,

I'm having issues with connections to a SSAS-based report. I'm accessing the data source just fine from Desktop, and everything works just perfect. But when I upload it to the service, the report can't display any data or visual. 

I tried creating a new connection to the SSAS server directly from the online PBI-service, and I can connect just fine that way. But when I create a report with the newly created (and "working" SSAS-connection) not a single visual works. At the top of the report I get the "This report couldn't access the data source" - and on every visual there's an error saying "This report couldn't access the data source". 

The SSAS version is 12.0.4100.1, running off of WS 2012. The gateway is working fine (imported data from SQL server works great for example). We are using Mapped user names, and we have mapped the user name of the logged on user to the local domain.

What should I try next?

4 REPLIES 4
jayjay1
Frequent Visitor

Have you checked in the dataset settings if the data sources are mapped to the correct gateway? 

HenrikSwe
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Eno1978 for your suggestion. I'm going to install a new gateway on a different machine, and see if that helps. 

Dale, I'll wait until there's an acutal solution to my problem before doing that. 

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @HenrikSwe,

Could you please mark the proper answer as the solution?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@HenrikSwe Validate that the connection string matches exactly to what is in the gateway. Even slight differences will not connect. Ensure that the user on the gateway is the same, make sure the gateway is the latest and up to date.

My guess is that the connection doesn't fully match.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors