Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TSI
Advocate I
Advocate I

Report with Shared Dataset: 'Entire Organization' access not working

Hi, 

I have a report, A, with role-level security applied to the dataset and published as an app. 

In Permissions, Access is set to 'Entire Organization'.

After making a copy of Report A in workspace, the new report, B, was published to a separate workspace.

However users in my organization who were granted role-level access in Report A's dataset are unable to access the Report B app. 

Could someone help me out here? 

Additional questions:

• If Report B inherits role level security from Report A's dataset, does this mean that I must manage permissions for both reports from Report A's dataset?
  • What's the best way to grant access to the 2 apps to 2 different sets of users (while applying role level security from Report A's dataset)? Keeping in mind that there are a lot of users for each report. 

Thanks in advance for the support. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TSI ,

You may need to reset the Access to 'Entire Organization' under Permission for Report B App.

For your additional questions, you might manage permissions for both reports from Report A's dataset. What's more, for different sets of users, you can create security group to grant access to the 2 apps, add security group as member of a role. See: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI .

In this scenario, you can create security groups on O365 admin center: Create, edit, or delete a security group in the Office 365 admin center. Then add all users into corresponding security group.

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TSI ,

You may need to reset the Access to 'Entire Organization' under Permission for Report B App.

For your additional questions, you might manage permissions for both reports from Report A's dataset. What's more, for different sets of users, you can create security group to grant access to the 2 apps, add security group as member of a role. See: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI .

In this scenario, you can create security groups on O365 admin center: Create, edit, or delete a security group in the Office 365 admin center. Then add all users into corresponding security group.

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xicai ,

Thanks for the solution! Appreciate the reference document to security group, I'm going to try it out 👍

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors