Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mahawkins3
Helper I
Helper I

Report visuals not updating

Hi,

I've set up a report (using Direct Query on an Azure SQL database) and published it to Power BI Service. In the settings, I have scheduled it to refresh every 15 minutes, which I had assumed would trigger the visuals to update every 15 minutes with the latest data, however after a couple of hours they are still not auto-updating.

If I click refresh manually then the visuals do refresh, however that's not what I'm looking for as what we're trying to set up is a screen on the wall that updates automatically at regular intervals.

From my description above, is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mahawkins3,

When you pin a live page from the report to a dashboard, there is a notification:

"Pin live page enables changes to reports to appear in the dashboard tile when the page is refreshed."

q1.PNG

It means after the dataset is refreshed, we need to refresh the dashboard page which contains report live page to update data. If you want to refresh page automatically, you can try v-ljerr-msft's suggestion: Refresh Report in TV Mode  .

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
andylew
Regular Visitor

Hello,

For some reason, after I make some design changes on the PBIX file and publish, it says published successfully, but none of the design changes are coming through. I also made some tweaks on "Edit Queries" and those changes are not being reflected either. Never had this problem until today. Maybe there is a bug with latest PowerBI version?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@andylew 

I'm facing the same issue, please if you found the resolution 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Askal

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mahawkins3

From my understanding is that when you create Dashboard tiles, those will be updated on a schedule.

Whilst the reports area I understood it in that this will update when you interact with the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks - unfortunately it seems like that doesn't work either (I have pinned the report page as a dashboard and it still doesn't update automatically). According to Power BI's documentation, the visualisations should refresh automatically regardless of whether it's a report or a dashboard, so I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what's going wrong:

"Whenever you refresh data in a dataset, whether by using Refresh Now or by setting up a refresh schedule, Power BI uses information in the dataset to connect to the data sources defined for it, query for updated data, and then loads the updated data into the dataset. Any visualizations in your reports or dashboards based on the data are updated automatically."
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-data/

So, on further inspection, it updates automatically when I pin each individual visualisation as a dashboard tile, but does not update if I just pin the entire report as a dashboard. A bit of a strange system, but it seems to work now!

Anonymous
Not applicable

this is so strange, i am having the same issue as you. So youa re saying that we need to pin each tab of the report as a "live" tile for it to update automatically? that means it will only update the dashboard view and not the report itself? why would microsoft implement it this way??

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

I understand your frustration. Sometimes you might want to keep your visuals in a report (and not pin them or even pin the report as a Live Page to a Dashboard) while also having them update in correlation to the dataset that is updating in the background - again, within a report, not a Dashboard. 

I was trying to solve a similar problem by not only having the visuals update but by also having the report cycle through its tabs automatically (such as having to display a Power BI Report on a Production Floor, which my company and I are about to do).

I found a nice solution from @_picoloto43 on another Power BI Support Ticket, where he programatically made the report cycle through its own tabs via a Google Chrome Extension. I took his code and modified it to have the tabs also programatically refresh upon each page cycle. 

Basically, you use Javascript to programatically click the User Interface's buttons in the Power BI Service. For instance, when you log into Power BI and open a report that you published, you will notice that there is a refresh button on the top ribbon of the UI. You can force a Google Chrome extension to auto-click that button for you.

I have uploaded my version of the Chrome Extension on GitHub:

https://github.com/DMiradakis/Power-BI-Real-Time-Slideshow

If you wanted to, you could just take my extension and delete the lines of code pertaining to cycling through the tabs (on the file called "Content.js") and just leave the line that clicks the Refresh button.

Hope this helps.

I have been working on this problem for some time, have tried what you suggested and it works!.  I am running an on prem gateway to SQL server.  It is hard to believe that there is so much content about this subject, yet no clear communication on how it works.  

To summarize what @mahawkins3 stated:  you have to pin the individual report visualization (graph, table, etc..) using

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 2.21.21 PM.png pin instead of Pin Live Page for real-time updates to work.

Hi @mahawkins3,

When you pin a live page from the report to a dashboard, there is a notification:

"Pin live page enables changes to reports to appear in the dashboard tile when the page is refreshed."

q1.PNG

It means after the dataset is refreshed, we need to refresh the dashboard page which contains report live page to update data. If you want to refresh page automatically, you can try v-ljerr-msft's suggestion: Refresh Report in TV Mode  .

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft that's perfect. Contrary to my post above, for some reason the tiles eventually stopped updating after about 4 or 5 auto refreshes. I found a similar tool for Safari (Chrome doesn't work properly on our office mini-mac for some reason) which I've set to refresh every 5 minutes, and that has resolved the issue. The only annoying thing is that when it refreshes the page it's no longer in full-screen mode and has the sidebar, etc. but that's not a major problem.

Thanks to both contributors for the suggestions!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors