Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rixmcx59
Helper IV
Helper IV

Report visuals lose data connection after 90 minutes or so (Power BI service, SharePoint Online)

Hello all, I created a report in PBI desktop, the data source is an SPO list. I uploaded the .pbix file to OneDrive and connected to it through the power BI Service in SharePoint Online, everything works fine for 90 minutes or so and then the visuals lose data? no error? the report is still intact and data refresh still reports back as successfull.

What I have tried so far is to delete the OneDrive .pbix file and start with a fresh one, same result, works for a while and then no data.

This is strange, sometimes the visuals lose data one at a time or one page at a time (it's 7 Page report)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

rixmcx

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi rixmcx59,

It seems like there's something wrong with the onedrive refresh, please check if you can find an onedrive refresh option. In addtion, this case is similar with your issue, please refer to: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Sharepoint-Online-Data-Set-Refresh/td-p/389103#.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Thanks for the response, I tried moving the .pbix file to a team site/site assets library and disabled the OneDrive refresh. In the PBI UI the visuals went blank after the first refresh but the report is rendering with no problem in the SPO script editor web part.

We don't have support from MS so I'm at a loss here? running out of things to try. It's not a data connection issue, I have the reports scheduled to refresh every 30 minutes and the refresh is completing.

Thanks for any help

Here is what I found, My report has 7 pages, page 6 has 2 Timeline filters and page 7 has one. Page 7 also has a measure, not sure why that would cause a problem but I deleted page seven and no more problems. 

My troubleshooting approach was to delete a page at a time to see if any visuals were causing the problem.

Here is the interesting part, I got in touch with MS Power BI support team and they told me the Timeline is a knowm problem and the work around was to download a fresh one. I tried this but still had problems with running 3 timelines on a multi page report.

Bottom line is I have not had any problems since deleting the report page with the 3rd timeline and the measure. Not great but better then no report.

I am replying to my own post, so the report failed again, visuals went blank. I removed all timelines and it's working for now.

Hopefully you won't here back from me. MS needs to tighten PBI up a bit, pretty sloppy.

Still working with MS, the problem returned 3 hours in, after I released the report to users in production. At this point it's not the timeline or the use of measures. Now it works until I refresh, then visuals go blank. Hopefully I will post a resolution soon.

Ok, I can finally put some closure to the issue, with the help of MS support we finally got to the problem, I did not transform, convert, change all the fields to the appropriate data type, one in particular, a check box (SharePoint list Yes/No column)

In the data modeling steps I did not change the SharePoint Yes/No field data type, in the data modeling steps I should have changed this field from "Any" which seems to be the default, to True/False.

So in the Power BI service I had a report level filter set to exclude True, (by the way this filter worked in Desktop) but it filtered out all data and the visuals went blank in PBI service UI. I changed the data type for the field to True/False and all has been well.

I can only guess that the problem was between the SharePoint list and PBI service and SharePoint was passing a value of Yes/No for that field until I changed the Field Type to True/False in the query editor steps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors