Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tvanbiemen
Frequent Visitor

Report usage metrics: page views not capturing embedded views

Hi all,

After delivering a new report for a customer we are very curious on how the end users are using the report. We are mainly interested in the distribution in views between pages since this tells us which insights are the most popular. The report is embedded into an external website. For testing purposes we sometimes also visit the report in the web service. This is something that is also correctly shown in the usage metrics' platform distribution:

platform.png

And is also correctly captured in both the number of views and the division between "users".

However, it looks like the page share metrics only shows a distribution of the pages that I visited on the PowerBI.com platform. Pages that I visited frequently myself in the embedded version are not even shown. How can I see the page view metrics for those views that are from Power BI embedded?

pageviews.png

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @tvanbiemen ,

Current power bi usage metrics not support trace embedded reports. But I haven't found an alternative three-way service either.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

Any possible way to get usage metrics for embedded reports?

Thanks,

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tvanbiemen ,

Usage metrics track usage of reports that are embedded in SharePoint Online. However, usage metrics don't track embedding of dashboards and reports via the “user owns credentials” or “app owns credentials” flow. Usage metrics also don't track usage of reports embedding via publish to web.

Please refer to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-How-to-view-Usage-metrics-in-Power-BI-works...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi @v-deddai1-msft,

Thanks for your reply. It seems like the page views of our embedded reports are still tracked and counted towards the total, but that the distribution is not showing. Is my assumption that the embedded views stil count towards the total correct? I feel like this was changed with the improved version of the report usage metrics. (I see that the post you linked to shows the older version of the metrics and was posted before the new version became available)

Is the “app owns credentials” flow you describe the same as the "App owns data" embedding option that we choose? 

If usage metrics for embedded reports are indeed not possible. Do you of other options to track usage?

Hi @tvanbiemen ,

Current power bi usage metrics not support trace embedded reports. But I haven't found an alternative three-way service either.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What do you see in the Premium Capacity Metrics template app?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Thanks for your reply. I have downloaded the app and see a lot of metrics, mostly concerning paginated reports, resource utalization, datasets & -flows. Which part of the app are you eluding to in your post?

Thomas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors