Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Madumi
Regular Visitor

Report refresh & powerapp integration

I am new to Power BI, so wondered if someone would be so kind as to help me with a couple questions:

1) It seems in the Power BI service, reports don't necessarily refresh themselves automatically eg. when accessing a report from a dashboard. Does this mean that users need to press the "refresh" button every time they access a report in order to see the most current data?

2) If I integrate a Power BI report/tile into PowerApps, what would I need to do to ensure the report displayed current data (at least when the app is first opened)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

@Madumi we need to talk terminology

1. Reports don't refresh.  Their underlying datasets do, either by a schedule set up by the developer in the service, by a manual request, or via a REST API call. Dataset also (annoyingly) get refreshed when the pbix file gets uploaded to the workspace.

Report Users cannot refresh datasets. They depend on the developers.

It's even worse.  If the report user keeps the report open, and the data source is in import mode, and the dataset gets refreshed, then that refresh will not show to the report user until they hit F5 on their browser (or equivalent).  This is different from dashboards which automatically update when the dataset is refreshed.

2. same theme.  You can't do anything about that. Talk to the dataset developer about their refresh schedule.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

@Madumi we need to talk terminology

1. Reports don't refresh.  Their underlying datasets do, either by a schedule set up by the developer in the service, by a manual request, or via a REST API call. Dataset also (annoyingly) get refreshed when the pbix file gets uploaded to the workspace.

Report Users cannot refresh datasets. They depend on the developers.

It's even worse.  If the report user keeps the report open, and the data source is in import mode, and the dataset gets refreshed, then that refresh will not show to the report user until they hit F5 on their browser (or equivalent).  This is different from dashboards which automatically update when the dataset is refreshed.

2. same theme.  You can't do anything about that. Talk to the dataset developer about their refresh schedule.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors