Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SabineOussi
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Report in App - Power BI Embedded

Hello,

It's been more than two years that we're using Power BI Desktop, Power BI Service, and Power BI Mobile. It is time now to integrate PBI reports into our own applications.

We have our own platform in which pages will be dedicated for such reports and customers from different groups will be able to access them. Some of these groups might have access to specific reports others can't access.

I understand that publishing to web is the easiest way to do it but not the safest.

I was looking at Power BI Embedded and things are not very clear, especially after October changes, and this is where I need help.

I will eventually be using the solution posted here in order to embed the report in a page

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Angular-2-and-Power-BI-Embedded/td-p/112226

But I still have concerns,

Can I do it with only a PBI Pro license or another kind of subscription needs to be bought?

Is there anything that needs to be installed on the machine on which reports are being built? What about the customers, they can easily access them without any subscription or additional installation?
If scheduled refresh is enabled, changes will immediately be reflected on the report pages within the app or will they need time to appear?

Note that people developing the reports have PBI Pro licenses but customers only have their platform credentials to log in with.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sabine O.

2 REPLIES 2

@SabineOussi 

Can I do it with only a PBI Pro license or another kind of subscription needs to be bought? Initially, yes this should deploy. But you need to license the Embedding. You do that in one of a couple ways. If you have Premium (P sku) this is covered. If you only have Pro licenses, you need to purchase a Power BI Embedded license. There are two flavors of this. One via O365 EM1-3, or the easier route of the (A sku). Which allows you to purchase the embedded license via Azure so it is consumption based. - Link

Is there anything that needs to be installed on the machine on which reports are being built? No

What about the customers, they can easily access them without any subscription or additional installation? This would all be handled by your devs. I believe this usually uses a singular AAD account that is tied to the application. Your end users shouldn't need to do anything.
If scheduled refresh is enabled, changes will immediately be reflected on the report pages within the app or will they need time to appear? Your updates should appear as they do in the Service from my understanding.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer for the valuable info.

I still have a question, reading the examples in how to plan capacity for Power BI Embedded October 2017 whitepaper, they talk about interactions with the report. What is meant by that? Is this filtering and drilling? And/Or moving from one report page to another?

Example 1
The ISV knows that the SaaS App with Power BI Embedded handles 100 users in the peak hour. It is assumed that these users will trigger a total of 250 page renders for that hour because each user will load a report and interact with it 2.5 times during the peak hour. Per the table, the ISV should choose Power BI Embedded A1.

Thank again,

Sabine O.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors