Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StuMills

Report embedded in SharePoint Online not updating

Hi

I have created a report in Power BI Desktop based on a data set from a very simple SharePoint Online list. I have then published it to My Workspace. I have then taken a link from the report in My Workspace and embedded it into a page within the same SharePoint Online site (indeed it is on the same page as the list!) 

When i change the data in the SharePoint Online list it does not automatically update the embedded report. 

The only way i can get the embedded report to update is to Refresh the data in Power BI desktop, save and re-publish it to My Workspace, then refresh the browser where my report is embedded. Clearly this is frustrating, time-consuming and can lead to the data on my SharePoint report being out of sync - my assumption was that by using SharePoint Online for the dataset as a list, and embedding the report there, it would all flow automatically between there and Power BI..... clearly not?!

Is there something i am missing, or a setting i have to change somewhere to allow the embedded report to update as soon as a change is made to the list?

Thanks in advance

Stuart

4 REPLIES 4
SAHoff
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I'm having this exact same problem with a dataset based on SharePoint online lists, except that I've updated my credentials and set my refresh schedule, and the data still isn't syncing in the version in My Workspace. The dataset says it's refreshed on schedule, but the uploaded report still does not match the numbers in the desktop version. Any other ideas as to why this might be happening @ibarrau or anyone else? Thanks!

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. It sounds like you are missing the configuration in Service. Once you have published your report you have two ways: install and configure a gateway (for on premise sources) or set up sources credentials (for cloud sources). In your case if you only get data from sharepoint list, the second option would be the one. 

Check the three dots option in the dataset in your workspace and go to settings or schedule refresh. There look for the "Data Source Credentials". Edit them and scroll down to configure a Schedule Refresh. You can refresh until 8 times a day.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Brilliant, thank you. I have found that menu and looks like i have updated my credentials, and set up for a refresh every hour during the working day. 

One follow-on question..... within the report embedded on the SharePoint page i chose the option to show the menu bar. It has a refresh button but did not seem to do anything when i pressed it - i hoped this might solve the problem.

Was this also likely linked to the credentials issue? If it was, does that mean i will now have both an hourly refresh, and the option to manually refresh whenever i wish? Also, if that is the case, will anybody viewing the report in SharePoint also be able to manually refresh from now on?

Hi. The refresh button in the report bar will only refresh your visualizations in the browser cache because if you have a report open and the data has been recently refreshed, the web site won't refresh it automatically. That's what that button does.

Usually you won't need it because you close and open the tab or browser again and it loads from scratch.

The refresh that gets new data from source to Power Bi can only be manually triggered inside Power Bi Service or with the API (running a custom script). The datasets in the workspaces have a "Refresh" icon next to the name to manually run it.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors