Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RyanAck
Advocate I
Advocate I

Report drilldown seizing SSAS (multi) server

Hi everyone, we've been hitting an issue tied to drilldowns in matrix visuals that consume all the processing power of our SSAS server. As a result, if one person tries to drill down, our cubes freeze for everyone else in the company. It is devastating. 

Our cubes are multidimensional SSAS. The reports are live connections and contain a fair level of detail and go to a low grain if drilled into. 

Example: 

• Customer
        • Date
          • Product Size

I have to imagine others have seen this problem. It was very difficult to trace the sessions back to the Power BI reports, but we did it. The resources seem to be struggling with the SUMMARIZE function with multiple drill down levels in a hierarchy. 

Has anyone else run into a similar situation? 

Thank you for reading and I appreciate any insight. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @RyanAck,

If I understand your sceanrio correctly that you have a report with multidimensional SSAS and you create a matrix with Drill down in Power BI, when someone tries to drill down in the matrix, your cubes will freeze for everyone else in the company?

I haven't seen this issue before. I'm afraid this issue may be not caused in Power BI. I suggest you could use SQL Server Profiler to have a trace for this issue in SSAS when you drill down in matrix.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @RyanAck,

If I understand your sceanrio correctly that you have a report with multidimensional SSAS and you create a matrix with Drill down in Power BI, when someone tries to drill down in the matrix, your cubes will freeze for everyone else in the company?

I haven't seen this issue before. I'm afraid this issue may be not caused in Power BI. I suggest you could use SQL Server Profiler to have a trace for this issue in SSAS when you drill down in matrix.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your feedback. We will look into the profiling. I had to imagine it would be a much bigger issue if it wasn't just us.

Thank you! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors