Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

schuffa
Advocate II
Advocate II

Report data updated time shows up although the refresh has failed!

Hello, I'm doubting that this new look feature https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-look#2-view-report-details about showing the Data updated time stamp on the report header bar is working correctly in case of failed refreshed. Concretely I had a situation where the manual refresh failed. So in my understanding NO update of the timestamp should have happned (as also the dataset was NOT finally updated). Instead the timestamp of the last "completed" updated should still have been shown (in my example here - see also screenshots below: 7.2.2020 03:20:18 - and NOT 7.1.2020 12:06:44).

-> Can you please check and fix this?

Refresh 1.pngRefresh 2.png

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,
How to enable that information? In my report (pBI service) I don't see the label "data updated DD/MM/YY"

Hi @Anonymous - this is in the Power BI Service.  It is an out of the box feature, referred to as a banner for 'Find detailed information about this report'  that sits at the top of the screen and expands when you click on it. 

CaronTurner_0-1648408061901.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @CaronTurner ,

This is the report from my co-worker
tuchu0103_0-1648440487291.png

And my report:

tuchu0103_1-1648440548173.png

Both is report (is not Dashboard)
I try to get file pbix from my co-work and publish it, that report still does not have "data updated ...."

CaronTurner
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Admin

I am experiencing this problem also, Refresh failed (Sharepoint as source data) > 2 hours yet the timestamp suggested that data was refreshed and showed on the report as having refreshed.  I would expect the datetime to show as the last time the data refreshed.  We are telling users to view the refresh info at the top of their reports, which is misleading them. 
I see there was a comment Microsoft are looking into this some 14 months ago.  Is there an update or an idea that we can see where this fix is at please. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refresh fails when updating data from sources that use AAD OAuth

The Azure Active Directory (AAD) OAuth token, used by many different data sources, expires in approximately one hour. You can run into situations where loading data takes longer than the token expiration (more than one hour), since the Power BI service waits for up to two hours when loading data. In that situation, the data loading process can fail with a credentials error.

Data sources that use AAD OAuth include Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online, SharePoint Online (SPO), and others. If you’re connecting to such data sources, and get a credentials failure when loading data takes more than an hour, this may be the reason.

Microsoft is investigating a solution that allows the data loading process to refresh the token and continue. However, if your Dynamics CRM Online or SharePoint Online instance (or other AAD OAuth data source) is so large that it can run into the two-hour data-load threshold, you may experience a data load timeout from the Power BI service as well.

Also note that, for refresh to work properly, when connecting to a SharePoint Online data source using AAD OAuth, you must use the same account that you use to sign in to the Power BI service.

The question is not about why the prior refresh has failed. The question is why the presented time stamp in the new look is showing an incorrect date/time stamp (the one of the failed refresh, not the one of the last correctly completed one).

P.S.: Source is here an on prem MS SQL server connected via enterprise gateway.

Hi @schuffa ,

The refresh failed but also showed that the refresh time may be due to direct query mode. Do you use DAX to create the refresh time or M query?

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @V-lianl-msft 

I am having the same issue. Is there a fix for this?

Thank you,

Ben

Hello @V-lianl-msft , thanks for your message. The report uses data import - no direct query. The screenshots are based on a) the datasets -> settings -> refresh history screen and b) the report information you get in the "new look" experience clicking (while the report is open) on the report name in the top middle of the PowerBI Service framework. So there is not a single chararacter of code from my side behind the both information - it's all Power BI standard features. My point is that I doubt that the "Updated" information in the second screenshot is working correctly in the described constellation. From my point of view this is a bug and needs to be fixed -> please comment.

Bets regards, Andreas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors