Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report changes to Import Query mode when I publish a Direct Query report in Power BI

Not fully sure what's happening here. But when I publish the report (see image - for direct query it should be schedule cache refresh).

These are the possible reasons I think and I would appreciate if someone points me in the right direction.

1. DirectQuery is only available on Premium license (mine is Pro).

2. Need to create an app for Direct Query to work (not sure how this would change anything at the dataset level)
3. Some incorrect inconfiguration/setup of dataset (unlikely).

aamirparkar_1-1634305046794.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have a bunch of direct query reports and it shows me as well. It does not mean that report is converted to import mode. Rather if you can expand that "Schedule Refresh" if tells the refresh is for a dashboard tile (the dashboard tile might be a pinned report visual). So the refresh is more for a dashboard tile (feeding off the report), not the published report. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand how the refresh works. The question here is why does it show the Schedule Refresh tab for the dataset? From what I know the tab should have Schedule Cache Refresh in there.

I have a bunch of direct query reports and it shows me as well. It does not mean that report is converted to import mode. Rather if you can expand that "Schedule Refresh" if tells the refresh is for a dashboard tile (the dashboard tile might be a pinned report visual). So the refresh is more for a dashboard tile (feeding off the report), not the published report. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Just added a bit of warehouse monitoring to confirm if thats the case.

cyclist007
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

DirectQuery is available for Pro (so that is not a reason)

Direct Query basically means when the viewer opens the report, the report will fetch the data at that time (directly query the data when report is opened). Hence there is no need to schedule refresh the data.

If you open the report today at 4pm ... you will see the report refreshed as of 4pm.  If the next user opens the report at 5.05pm they will see data as of 5.05pm. The report does not store the data (hence there is no refresh), the data is pulled (queried) when the report is opened (and will then not update - if the report just remains open ... unless you re-open the report).

Scheduled refresh is for Import mode - when you pull the data into Power BI report, and henced the pulled data needs to be refreshed updated at certain intervals (max 8 times a day).

Hope this clairifies.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors