Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report & Workspace Access Governance

Hi, 

My company has recently adopted Power BI after using Report Builder and SharePoint to distribute reports previously, in our old world we rely heavily on being able to audit which AD groups have access to which reports and traditionally we split everything by department. 

Since adopting Power BI we have noticed that giving access and monitoring it on the Service is not set up in the best way to audit who has access. Our current approach has been to set up a workspace per department, however this does not lend itself well to reports that are more universal. 

My questions are; do you have any suggestions or examples of how workspaces are set up? How report access is audited? Do you even do that at all? Or should we consider a different approach to our distribution of content?

Any insights would help! 

Thanks

Jordan 

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

In Power BI, the workspace members will have permission to access all contents instead of specific contents currently.

For your requirement, you can try below workarounds:

1. As you said, create a workspace for each department.

For reports more universal, you can create another workspace.

2. As you said, create a workspace for each department.

For reports more universal, you can share the report to others.

You can share your ideas on Power BI Ideas, where customers can provide feedback about Power BI to improve it.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Icey ,

Thanks for the reply! We may have to look at some sort of Workspace for bespoke reports, what I also want to know from yourself or anyone else is how other companies have set up Workspaces just to give me an idea of what other people are doing, would you happen to have any insights?

Thanks

Jordan 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors