Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SqlBobScot
Helper II
Helper II

Report Usage report

Looked at the view metrics report for a customer for the first time today.

The old version returns data for the correct date range. It does not return all the data the client wants.  So I switched on the new version, and the data range showing is over one year ago. Note the workspace is less than one year old.

Disappointing to say the least and no way to submit an issue ticket.  The new report has a suggestion to update the underlying dataset.  My account is in the admin role for the workspace and I cannot see the dataset. Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @SqlBobScot ,

I did face similar issue where dataset was not updating & I could not see the usage metrics dataset in the Workspace. So, I updated my dataset using Powershell with PowerBI cmdlets, there you should be able to see the dataset. Afterwards it was available in the Workspace too. Since then I scheduled daily refreshes using Power Automate script. 

Hope this helps.

Ethan96
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi, @SqlBobScot 

If the credentials expire, the datasets may become stale and refreshes may fail. In such cases, you can refer to the procedure in the link below to take over a Usage Metrics Report dataset and update the credentials.

Update usage metrics report credentials 

Regards,

Eason

Thanks the creditentials are not stale, when the report was created the stats for the new version did not match the old version.  There is a toggle button the report to switch between the two, and new verison is out of date, it was created about 2 mins before.

I'll try the suggested method in the article.  The account I used was a guest account from another domain.  Once I log in use an account for the same domain I'll see if I can refresh the credentials.

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi SqlBobScot. It sounds like if you have the usage report broken and you can get support, you might have to build it from scratch. That's an amazing option to get a better user experience, but it will take time.

If you are the admin, you can register an app at azure in order to use the Power Bi Rest API. In there you will find this request: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/get-activity-events

That one will return the activity events used for the usage metrics report. You can return day by day for the tenant, all workspaces, all reports, etc.

You probably need to write same code and store that on a DB to build a robust and scalable base of activities. You can find cmlets with powershell or libreries like SimplePBI with python to help you use the API.

You can also write an issue to the community if you can't rise a ticket to support. They might help there:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors