Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MednaxKevin
Frequent Visitor

Report Usage Metrics - Does it show MSExcel users connecting to a Power BI Dataset?

Does the report usage metrics in Power BI show just users viewing the report online or does it also include people who have chosen to "analyze in excel" and keep reusing the same workbook?  Does it show me how often they open that MSExcel workbook and connect to the underlying Power BI dataset?  Cause some people refuse to use anything but MSExcel... and I'm trying to track their usage.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @MednaxKevin ,

I looked at today's Usage Metrics for the report that I had exported.  As expected, there is no indication of a report being used in Excel.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @MednaxKevin ,

I looked at today's Usage Metrics for the report that I had exported.  As expected, there is no indication of a report being used in Excel.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I guess I'll be putting in an "idea" in that it should be included.  Thanks for double-checking me.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hey @MednaxKevin ,

I don't think that is in the results in the new version.  I am doing a test though.  But, since Usage Metrics don't update but once a day, it will be tomorrow before I can confirm that.

That said, I think that if you use the audit logs from O365, you should be able to see it.  

I will let you know tomorrow how it works!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors