Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AUaero
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Report URL Changes!!!

I've got a powershell script that launches Power BI and navigates to a specific report at user login.  My script has worked perfectly until today.  That's when I discovered that the URL for the report has changed:

OLD URL

$URL = "https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/9dd02ad1-3463-4664-8821-22016391adb5/ReportSection"

NEW URL
$URL = "https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/f73281e1-685d-4f0b-b40b-ff58b720dc01/ReportSection"

Why???  Is there a way to prevent this or to work around the issue?  This seems needlessly stupid.  I can't imagine that my use case for Power BI (displaying information on visual boards) is that unique or that no one has ever needed to script Power BI before.

6 REPLIES 6
Omkarya_1

We're also facing same issue, that my GUID changes every week and my report url also changes, We've to update the link again and again.

Is there any way to set as single url or can we map new urls to set as a static old url

kindly help

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AUaero,

Based on my test, if we have published the report to Power BI Service, then republish it again, the report URL in service will not change. But if we delete the published report in service, then republish the report, the report URL will change. In your scenario, I would suggest you type those URLs in browser to check the results, then you can make sure whether the report URL is replaced or not.

By the way, based on my research, there is no OOTB feature for us to review the timestamps of published report in Power BI Service currently.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@AUaero I haven't seen this happening importantly didn't had the need to worry about report URL as never automated opening of it but i guess microsoft insider like @SamLester can give you an info on why report url was changed. Just to make sure report wasn't republished or anything right which would be the reason for url change ?

Is it hard to update URL in powershell script. I would suggest you consier this a real problem if report url changes again and frequently.

Thanks for you input, Ankit.

I'm not aware of the report being republished, but I suppose that could be a possibilty.  Is there a way to see the timestamp for when a report is published?

Thanks!

Hi @AUaero I checked with a few members of the Power BI product team and the general belief is that deleting and recreating the report should be the only way that the GUID would be changed. Updating/republishing the report should retain the original GUID.

A timestamp would definitely be very helpful in this situation to determine if someone else may have recreated the report URL.

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

Same problem just happened to me. I added a tab/new page, republished, and the ID changed, rendering all of my filtered links useless. Could it be something with adding a new page, perhaps?

Additionally: To be thorough in describing the conditions that led to the problem, I also recently enabled the new navigation (preview) interface.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors