Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Nordy
Regular Visitor

Report Themes not being applied after installing via Template App

I am in the process of testing a template app, it is not available on AppSource.

I have several reports in my template app, all of them have a custom theme applied to them (if it matters, I've posted the data colors used in the JSON file at end). Custom theme is working as expected in the original workspace I am using to create the template app AND is working for a short period of time in my testing workspaces & organizational apps I've installed using my template app.

Here is an example screenshot of a report page as it appears in my workspace I am using to create a template app and how I expect it to appear given my custom theme I have applied to the report.

Screenshot of an example report page to show how report page is displayed in workspace being used to create a template app - with desired custom theme being applied.Screenshot of an example report page to show how report page is displayed in workspace being used to create a template app - with desired custom theme being applied.

After an unknown period of time (less than 5 days), some of the reports (not all) in the workspaces and organizational apps that I've created using the template app appear to no longer have  the custom theme applied. 

Screenshot of the same report page but with the theme not applied or whatever the error is.Screenshot of the same report page but with the theme not applied or whatever the error is.

Is this possibly a bug? Is anyone else experiencing similar issues? 

As a workaround, I know I could go back to the reports, revert to use the default theme, and then manually set visuals colors by using "Custom Colors" .  

Any help would be much appreciated,

-Erik

Data colors used in custom theme:

["#044084", "#378bdd", "#008348", "#6ec949", "#ca470d", "#da8027", "#f2bb30"]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Nordy, Indeed it's a known issue and we recently added a fix to Power BI. The fix will be available in 2-3 weeks.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for reporting!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Nordy ,

Could you please share a sample PBIX file and the theme JSON file through online file service like OneDrive? Or you can try to download the latest version of the desktop, open the report, reimport the theme and see if it works.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-joesh-msft ,

I did try re-importing the json theme file into the report using the November 2019 release of PBI desktop (the reports were previously published using the October 2019 release), went through the process of updating my template app and then updating my testing workspaces to use the most recent version of my template app, and it is working for right now - that is, my custom theme is being applied to the report pages as expected.. 

Note - when I did this 2 weeks ago with the October 2019 release of PBI desktop, it worked for several days as well. It wasn't until severaly days after where all of a sudden my testing workspaces appeared to stop using my custom theme and started using Power BI default theme. 

I am a little confused why this would happen and how frequently I would have this issue given Power BI desktop is updated monthly.

If I am not making any sense - I apologize, the issue I am having just doesn't make sense to me. Let me know if I need to provide more details.

Appreciate your time @v-joesh-msft ,

Nordy

Hi @Nordy ,

Occasionally there are similar problems, but there are many reasons for the problem: whether to use custom visual, version reasons, browser issues, or indeed an issue of power bi, etc, still have to look at the specific situation.
Generally encountered this problem, share a sample PBIX file and the theme JSON file will be very helpful, we will test it and see if it can reproduce the problem, if it can be reproduced, we will report it internally and will update to you once get feedback. 

Sorry for the inconvenience, we will try our best to optimize the power bi experience.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey @v-joesh-msft ,

I am still experiencing the same issue. That is, my custom theme appeared to be applied for a few days last week in my testing workspaces which I used my template app to install and when I checked the same workspaces today, it appears that my custom theme is no longer being applied and the default theme is being applied. (the report also takes at least 10X longer to load then it did last week). 

I can share the PBIX file and the JSON file - The power bi file is built using a Power BI dataset as a data source, the data sources are confidential and on a website that requires permissions. I could get some sample data embedded in the dataset to share but I'd like to know you need that before I undertake that time consuming test. If you do not need the pbix file with the dataset (and all the power query steps), I can easily share the pbix file I used to create the report that references a dataset on Power BI service. Just not sure how useful this file alone would be.

I am not sure you need my pbix files here to do the testing either. To me, the problem appears to be that after a short period of time, a custom theme used on a report in a template app does not "stick" to the report in workspaces that you installed using your template app. I could share a link to the pre-production template app and let you install the app and witness the issue.  **Note - in the original template app workspace, the reports appear as expected with the custom theme applied. It is just the workspaces I've installed using my template app that appear to have the problem after a short period of time.. 

Appreciate your time,

Erik

custom theme I have applied to the reports:

{
"name": "Erik Test PBI Theme",
"dataColors": ["#044084", "#378bdd", "#008348", "#6ec949", "#ca470d", "#da8027", "#f2bb30"],
"foreground": "#252423",
"foregroundNeutralSecondary": "#605E5C",
"foregroundNeutralTertiary": "#B3B0AD",
"background": "#F6F6F6",
"backgroundLight": "#bdbdbd",
"backgroundNeutral": "#C8C6C4",
"tableAccent": "#FFFFFF",
"textClasses": {
"callout": {
"fontSize": 20,
"fontFace": "Calibri",
"color": "#252423"
},
"title": {
"fontSize": 12,
},
"largeTitle": {
},
"header": {
},
"label": {
"fontSize": 10,
},
"smallLabel": {
},
"largeLabel": {
}
}
}

For what it's worth, I have had a very similar problem. I've created a template app with a custom theme and after installing the template app on Power BI Service, occasionally the report will take a very long time to load and the custom theme is not applied and instead reverts to the default theme. Refreshing sometimes fixes and sometimes does not. The original master workspace works flawlessly. This also happens on the iOS and android apps where opening the app may not show the custom theme. Sometimes switching back and forth between workspaces fixes it.

Hey @richardkong , hearing I'm not the only one experiencing this issue at least makes me feel not (as) crazy.. Thanks for commenting. 

I did just open an official Power BI Support ticket - If I find a fix, I'll post it here.

Hi @Nordy, Indeed it's a known issue and we recently added a fix to Power BI. The fix will be available in 2-3 weeks.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for reporting!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors