Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

connork
Helper I
Helper I

Report Refresh - Multiple Users?

Could not find this out there, but running into an issue as we deploy reporting.  Scenario is as follows:

- UserA develops a PowerBI report (ReportA) using Power BI desktop. The .pbix file is saved on a saved network location.

- UserA attaches the report to Dashboard1 and shares Dashboard 1 with other users in the organization 

- UserA is on vacation, so UserB opens the PBIX file from the shared location, refreshes the data in the report and then selects Publish

- When UserA (or any other user besides UserB) goes to the PBI web portal, everyone still sees the "old" report data in Dashboard1, not the refreshed data.

What needs to be done to allow UserB to refresh ReportA for all users? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@connork User A and User B need to belong to the same Group Workspace. Then the report is treated as shared content between the two and User B can republish to the Group Workspace and the shared dashboard will update for all end users.

Your current scenerio is User A builds things in his workspace and shares it. While User B has access to the source file, he doesn't have access to User A's workspace. So he can't update the shared content.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@connork User A and User B need to belong to the same Group Workspace. Then the report is treated as shared content between the two and User B can republish to the Group Workspace and the shared dashboard will update for all end users.

Your current scenerio is User A builds things in his workspace and shares it. While User B has access to the source file, he doesn't have access to User A's workspace. So he can't update the shared content.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer Thanks - took a bit of trial and error, but I was able to get UserB  to refresh one of UserA's reports and have it push out to the report on the web.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors