Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Intellixion

Report Publishing

Hi All,

Looking for some feedback. So I am a BI developer, however I am new to Power BI. I work as a independent consultant and have worked with multile clients in the past.  Was wondering if in Power BI there a way I could develop all the analytics/dashboards on my portal (account) and publish it on my client's portal or do I have to work on each of my client's portal to be able to create and publish reporting applications for their organization?

thanks for your feedback!

AJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

As long as you can connect to the data source(s) in question from where you are and you can import all the data you need into a Power BI Desktop project, you should be able to do all the work of designing queries, data modeling and report design without any need to access the client's Power BI portal.

Once you have completed your data modeling and report design work on the Power BI Desktop project, either you or someone who works for your client shoould be able to publish (i.e. upload) the PBIX project file into a group workspace. After that, the project's report is ready for use. There might be a need for configuration of data source credentials after ou publish the project, but that is pretty quick and would just take a few minutes. So, yes, you should be able to do all your data modeling and report design work without having to access the client's Power BI portal.

The one gotcha here is dashboards which cannot be created within a Power BI Desktop project. If your project requires dashboards in addition to the report provided by a Power BI Desktop project, then the dashboard must be created while accessing the client's Power BI portal.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

As long as you can connect to the data source(s) in question from where you are and you can import all the data you need into a Power BI Desktop project, you should be able to do all the work of designing queries, data modeling and report design without any need to access the client's Power BI portal.

Once you have completed your data modeling and report design work on the Power BI Desktop project, either you or someone who works for your client shoould be able to publish (i.e. upload) the PBIX project file into a group workspace. After that, the project's report is ready for use. There might be a need for configuration of data source credentials after ou publish the project, but that is pretty quick and would just take a few minutes. So, yes, you should be able to do all your data modeling and report design work without having to access the client's Power BI portal.

The one gotcha here is dashboards which cannot be created within a Power BI Desktop project. If your project requires dashboards in addition to the report provided by a Power BI Desktop project, then the dashboard must be created while accessing the client's Power BI portal.

Thanks for the detailed response! it helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors