Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nia9229

Report PowerBI Service SQL Server DirectQuery and Excel

I would like to know if it is possible to publish a report whose data sources are SQL Sever (DirectQuery) and an Excel spreadsheet(Import).

I created the gateway and the data source for SQL Sever on PowerBI Service. However, I can only see those visuals that works with Excel and I get an error message that there is no gateway available

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It is still a composite model if you have independent tables with different modes in the same dataset.

If your excel file is on-premise ( in your computer, not in cloud), you should be able to add it to the gateway. All datasources that are not cloud-based, have to be added to the gateway.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
nia9229

Thank you for your answer.

I do not need to create a relationship between SQL Server and the excel spreadsheet. I guess this case is not a composite model because these objects are independent. They are used in different pages.

If I have understood correctly, I need to add all used datasources to the gateway even though they use the import mode. However, there is no Excel data source in the Power BI service. How can I fix this problem related to the spreadsheet?

It is still a composite model if you have independent tables with different modes in the same dataset.

If your excel file is on-premise ( in your computer, not in cloud), you should be able to add it to the gateway. All datasources that are not cloud-based, have to be added to the gateway.

Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Yes you can, it is called composite model.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-composite-models

Once you set up the gateway, you need to map them to the dataset under gateway connection.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-data-sources#use-the-data-sou...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors