Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Merchy2401
Frequent Visitor

Report Permissions Grant/Remove

Hi All,

I have a single workspace with multiple datasets & multiple reports on each dataset...

I want to implement a granular security model to my workspace/dataset/report model so that I can restrict

• who can get in to the workspace,
  • who can see what data &
  • who can see what report...

Who can get into the Workspace - sorted persmissions on that; "New" workspace seems to offer better granualarity but does not appear to be working properly at the moment as "members" of the Workspace become "owners" of reports when published!! so sticking with old workspaces for now

Who can see what data; again reasonably happy with that by using RLS very effectively...its just a bit of a security effort to implement & manage

However using Old or New Workspaces I cant seem to secure the reports; everyone that has access to the dataset can see & open all of the reports (they may get errors due to RLS with visuals not displaying secured content) - but I dont want that to happen as due to RLS some of the reports will be utterly useless to some of my users. In an ideal world I'd even like to "hide" reports from users that dont have permission to use it.

Does anyone know if:

• Report based permission are even possible or will be possible in the New Workspace?
  • Assuming (massive assumption) that Report based permission are even a thing, can we hide reports from users that don't have permission?
  • I'd prefer NOT to have to use multiple workspaces as that just brings another heap of administrative pain

I would expect the ability to secure reports to be an off the shelf requirement from a corporate reporting tool.

any help/comments really appreciated; Andi

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Merchy2401,

The New version workspace is still under preview. So the functions aren't fixed yet. There could be more new features in the future. For example, the viewer.

How about excluding the reports before publishing?

Report-Permissions-Grant-Remove

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Im not publishing the reports via an App; I couldnt see what benefit that woudl give me as I can only have one app per workspace so again it appears to be an all or nothing scenario.

When I mention "publish" I am refering to Publishing the desktop client based report/datamodel to the Power BI Service.

All of my users currently consume reports directly from the Workspace, not via a published App..

Am I missing a big trick here? is there some form of permissions I can apply whicih take affect once an app is created & published?

Hi @Merchy2401,

As far as I know, we can't do that for now. I would suggest you vote up these ideas: app-workspace-report-level-permissions and option-to-hide-reports-in-apps

My last post could be a workaround.

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors