Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bravespiano5
Frequent Visitor

Report Performance for different users: Instant vs. 30+ seconds

Hello!

I have published a report to the PBI service (workspace, published to an app) using an imported dataset. In both the pbix Performance Analyzer and in the web service, the dashboard performance is <2-3 seconds per click for me and several users.

There are a few select users however who have dashboard performances of 20-60 seconds. The page populates but the visuals to load in the data hangs for a long time. I've went thru the "normal" steps to check some of the variables such as internet speed, VPN, laptop RAM, apps currently in use...it's all comparable to my specs.

Any thoughts as to what is causing this disconnect? This report is querying from data in memory (imported dataset) so I don't understand why one user has a different result than another.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bravespiano5
Frequent Visitor

I was able to determine the slowness was due to RLS in the data model. These users were assigned to multiple roles and that apparently has an impact on performance.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bravespiano5
Frequent Visitor

I was able to determine the slowness was due to RLS in the data model. These users were assigned to multiple roles and that apparently has an impact on performance.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bravespiano5 ,

Please check this article to see if it helps,

Optimization guide for Power BI 

vcaitlynmstf_0-1652330922472.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

bravespiano5
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft,

I appreciate your response.

Would you mind being more specific with network latency and gateway size impacts? As mentioned, we've been able to relatively rull out most user variables such as internet speed and workstation RAM and with this being an import data model inside the PBI service, we're expecting relatively consistent performance between users outside of report filter/slicers (the last point isn't a factor here).

The workspace is PBI PRO also, FYI.

Thanks!

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bravespiano5 ,

In addition to the reports themselves, the Power BI environment can also affect report performance.
Gateway size and network latency can be the cause of these differences.For example,Network latency can impact report performance by increasing the time required for requests to reach the Power BI service, and for responses to be delivered. Tenants in Power BI are assigned to a specific region.

Because you are using import mode, the data is cached in the Power BI service and it does not matter how many users are viewing it. This issue may occur more due to external factors.

Hope it helps,

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors