Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Report-Filter, Dashboard-Filter and Abonements

Hi.

I have a "Products" report that contains 800 products.

I would like to send out exactly this report with a filter on 1 product "X" as a subscription.

However, if the filter in the report is removed / changed, this is also changed in the subscription and "X" is no longer visible in the mail but all products.

If I pin the report filtered on "X" to a dashboard, "X" is filtered correctly and I can subscribe to the dashboard. "X" is correctly displayed in the subscription. If I click on the dashboard tile, PowerBI navigates to the original report, but without passing on the "X" filter.

The only way I've found so far is to duplicate the original report, set a fixed filter to "X" and then subscribe - then it works.

But if I want to set 5 different subscriptions to 5 different product filters, I have to duplicate the report 5 times.
This in turn has problems, if I have to redesign something on the report, then I have to do that for all 5 duplicates.

How can I best solve this?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Apologies, I had assumed you are on Premium capacity.

One new alternative is Power Automate Desktop that has just been made free by Microsoft, and has RPA components that you may want to consider.

v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @martinobermayr,

If you want to filter by products, maybe you can create a slicer and a dimtable.

You need to store the conditions to be filtered in the dimension table and then drag them into the slicer.

Best Regards,

Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There is currently no better way to do that. Here are some random thoughts:

- use a central dataset so you only have to worry about the data once (you still have to do the design changes in each report)

- use report URL filters and accept the fact that users can change filters. Don't fight that.

- rethink your need to have subscriptions. Instead, consider using Power Automate to create report extracts (with the filters) and to send emails with the extract as attachment.

Hi @lbendlin  and thanks a lot.

I'm trying the solution with Power Automate, but i get the error "Report requested for export is not on dedicated capacity" when i want to do the pdf-export.

is it necessary to carry out these steps https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/REST-API-for-Power-BI-Reports-Export-To-File-giving-error...?

or can I fix the error more simply?

I think that my knowledge is not enough to fix it with the mentioned steps in de url

thanks a lot

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors