Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

[Report Bulder] Where to set timeout settings for paginated reports?

I'm getting the following error whenever pulling data for our paginated report. All datasets are using SQL. Is there some way I can set the timeout for the paginated report?

Data for this report could not be fetched in the allocated time. If you continue to experience this error contact the report author or data source owner to increase the time-out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

So, I finally found the answer to my question: in the Dataset Properties dialog box, there's a text box where you can specify the time out duration in seconds for a specific dataset query. In my case, setting it to 18000 seconds (5 hours) was more than enough time to avoid getting the time out error.

olimilo_0-1662647860885.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

So, I finally found the answer to my question: in the Dataset Properties dialog box, there's a text box where you can specify the time out duration in seconds for a specific dataset query. In my case, setting it to 18000 seconds (5 hours) was more than enough time to avoid getting the time out error.

olimilo_0-1662647860885.png

Hi,

I couldn't be able to find the option for Query type text, is there any setting to check to enable this.

sravanpesari_0-1703093914055.png

@olimilo ,

I know it has been a while, but was your value set to 0 before you increased it to 18000? I thought that 0 was infinite time and then you were only limited by the report timeout.  Do you know if your SQL Server had any timeout restrictions set?  I just don't want to give someone bad info about this setting.

olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I believe 0 is the default setting which is synonymous to not setting an actual timeout setting. I checked but was getting conflicting information whether not setting an actual timeout duration defaults to 15 or 30 seconds.

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @olimilo 

Paginated reports time out after 600 seconds when using Power BI DirectQuery dataset as a source.

Users who have permission to modify the properties of a published report can reset this value by editing the report definition file.

You can also specify a query time-out value for data-driven subscriptions. The query time-out value is specified in the Data-Driven Subscription pages. The value you specify determines how long the report server waits for query processing to complete when retrieving data from the subscriber data source.

Please refer to below threads for more details.

Setting Time-out Values for Report and Shared Dataset Processing (SSRS)

Create, Modify, and Delete Data-Driven Subscriptions 

Paginated reports in Power BI: FAQ 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Hi @v-easonf-msft 

> Users who have permission to modify the properties of a published report can reset this value by editing the report definition file.

Where exactly in the report definition file can I find this setting?

Hi, @olimilo 

Report definitions are written in XML. A report definition is a file that you create in Report Builder or Report Designer.  You can create and modify paginated report definition (.rdl) files in Microsoft Report Builder, Power BI Report Builder, and in Report Designer in SQL Server Data Tools.

Please refer to this document for more details.

Reports, Report Parts, and Report Definitions (Report Builder and SSRS) 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Hi @v-easonf-msft ,

Are you referring to this line in the RDL file when opened using a text editor?

olimilo_0-1662542101774.png

I set to 30 but I'm still getting the query-specific timeout error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors