Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tommy_g
Helper V
Helper V

Report Builder - how to find a report item by name (label)

When I receive an error message it often refers to a specific report field or other entity.

I cannot find an easy way to locate specific items in a complex report, there are hundreds of named items.

I do not find a search capability in the Properties panel.

Guessing on a good starting point and tabbing through seems to be the only available option.

Note that naming each of a thousand individual items might be considered a way to avoid this issue, but that "cure" would be extremely laborious for any complex Tablix, let alone the complete report.

Looking for tips, workarounds or "...join the club....deal with it..." advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @tommy_g 

Unfortunately, the report builder does not have as many report development functions as the desktop, and some options are indeed only available on the desktop. I suggest you to go to the Idea forum to post your new idea or @ some experts in Power BI (those who receive many Kudos and solutions) to help you with problems of Power BI report builder in advance.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Katie_L
Helper I
Helper I

OMG... I realize this is 2 YEARS LATER... I had this same issue and had to move everything away from my screen and found the culprit sitting in the center of the page where new items go when you copy and paste. it was one I had not utilized that was giving me an error

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @tommy_g 

Unfortunately, the report builder does not have as many report development functions as the desktop, and some options are indeed only available on the desktop. I suggest you to go to the Idea forum to post your new idea or @ some experts in Power BI (those who receive many Kudos and solutions) to help you with problems of Power BI report builder in advance.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @tommy_g ,

When you are on the visuals/report page there is a search box for field names on the top right - at the top of the "Fields" section.  Enter the name of the field there and then you will see every table that a field with that name is in.

If you are looking for the column name in the Query Editor, select the table that you want to search within and then select "Choose Columns" and then "Go To Column" and enter the name of the field in the search box.  Then select that field that you want to go to. 

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

I don't think we are looking in the same place. I'm am looking here and would search on a name such which might be "GaugePanel3". (i.e. not explictly named like this example for "Header". I'm looking for report content, not dataset fields. I don't see a search box.

Report Builder canvas.JPG

HI @tommy_g ,

You are correct, I was thinking strictly of field names and not field items.  If you go to Query Designer, you can search the model, I am wondering if that gets you what you need.

2020-12-19_19-43-21.jpg

Is that helpful?

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Still an open issue. It is possible to obscure a visualization or control in just about any tool which lays them out on a canvass. Power BI Desktop handles this by use of a VIEW + LAYOUT option, which lists every item on the report page, also allowing you to adjust the stacking order and visibility. Other tools provide a hierarchy tree showing containment. Both options appear to be sadly lacking in Report Builder. However the must be there for any complex report, so there must be a viable workaround. I'm going to leave this issue OPEN / UNRESOLVED in hopes for greater visibility.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors