Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KReynolds
Frequent Visitor

Report Builder Query Designer

I'm working in Power BI Report Builder version 15.6.1532.5

Please help me understand why when I hit the "Query Designer" button in Dataset Properties, this window pops up and requires DAX.

KReynolds_1-1635860988270.png

But, most relevant searchers for help on the internet show this window appears after the "Query Designer" button is clicked, that seems to be using SQL.

KReynolds_0-1635860924522.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @KReynolds 

This is because when using Paginated reports it is connecting to the Tabular Model which has a query language called DAX.

Previous versions of SQL Server Reporting Services connected to SQL Server and used the query language of TSQL.

You can drag and drop the columns into the Query builder and it will automatically create the DAX for you.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
alwweb
Advocate II
Advocate II

I know this is an old topic, but since none of the answers really answered the person's question, at least not as the software is currently, I would add an answer.

If your data source is from a Power BI connection, then you will see the interface that writes DAX.  The data from the pbix files and from deployed Power BI datasets are stored as Tabular (SSAS) format or at least using the XVelocity engine from Tabular SSAS, and thus the usage of DAX.

If your data source in the report is an MS SQL Server or other supported relational data source then you will see the more commonly documented query designer which in my opinion is a LOT more confusing and less intuitive than the Query Designer in SSMS and also the one in Visual Studio from SSRS.

garythomannCoGC
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Query Designer is a bug and should be removed/commented out 

Vote to have QD removed from the m$ code base.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @KReynolds 

This is because when using Paginated reports it is connecting to the Tabular Model which has a query language called DAX.

Previous versions of SQL Server Reporting Services connected to SQL Server and used the query language of TSQL.

You can drag and drop the columns into the Query builder and it will automatically create the DAX for you.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors