Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

[Report Builder] Could not connect to data source, connection time out or lost

I am using a Power BI dataset as the source of my paginated report on a premium workspace. Both the paginated report and PBI report are published in the same premium workspace. Currently, users of my paginated are getting the following error:

Could not connect to the data source.

There was an error communicating with Analysis Services. Please verify that the data source is available and your credentials are correct. The connection either timed out or was lost.

The topic below was the closest I could find on this. I did what the user suggested (to give Read and Build permissions to users I've shared the source report and paginated report with) however the users are still getting the error. Any other solutions I can look into to fix this?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Paginated-report-using-Power-BI-Dataset-reports-Analysis-Ser...

I also found this one but did not find any concrete solution from the Power BI team.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-BI-Report-Builder-reporting-giving-error-There-was-an...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I took down the report and republished it again in the same workspace. You could try Allan's solution if it works; it doesn't for me because we were using a PBI dataset for the paginated report that had the issue.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried downloading and refreshing on my PC (which was successful!) and then published. It still gave error refreshing it on the PBI service. So that did not work in my case specifically.

I then went into Settings-> Gateway connection on PBI Service. There the mapping of the Data Source was lost! Fixed that and refresh. Refresh went thru perfect!

simba2020

Hi, I am running into the same issue where the report works fine when running locally on the Power BI Report builder but getting the following when running on the Power BI Portal. What was the solution?

Could not connect to the data source.
There was an error contacting an underlying data source. Manage your credentials or gateway settings on the management page. Please verify that the data source is available, your credentials are correct and that your gateway settings are valid.
Activity ID: c2bcc975-9518-0119-ee25-4a5d6a9f6907
Request ID: c2bcc975-9518-0119-ee25-4a5d6a9f6907
Correlation ID: 32d749d37fe1477f887287fe44a7090a
Status code: 200
Time: Sat Mar 13 2021 10:45:44 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Cluster URI:  

Anonymous
Not applicable

WHERE WE CAN CHOOSE SETTINGS IN POWER BI

olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I took down the report and republished it again in the same workspace. You could try Allan's solution if it works; it doesn't for me because we were using a PBI dataset for the paginated report that had the issue.

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @olimilo 

Please check if you have access to the data source with the same credentials. You may try to increase the 'CommandTimeout' and 'ConnectionTimeout' in 'Query Editor' to test if it works(Sql.Database ). Have you configure row-level-filter in Analysis Service? For further information, you may refer Implement row-level security in an Analysis Services tabular model . If it still doesn't work, I'd like to suggest you create a support ticket here .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors