Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Replacing existing report

Hi,

I've got a report that's in a workspace that's been shared to quite a few people from outside of it - since then as the report's developed and new features etc have been requested I've needed to rebuild the data model to make it more simplistic/efficient and I'm ready to roll out with it. Now obviously I could just publish it to the workspace, share/give access to everyone who's got the old one, then remove the old one, but I'd rather not have to do that, especially if it involves a bunch of senior people getting emails to say that a report's been shared with them which as far as they're concerned they already have.

So my question is if I give the new report the same name as the old one and publish it, replacing the old report and dataset, it should retain the list of people that the old report's been shared with? Is there anything else I need to be aware of if going about things this way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, it seemed to work in terms of retaining who can see the report, the only problem is that the dataset didn't migrate properly for some reason and every single visual on the report was saying there was an issue with finding certain fields, so I'll probably just have to upload it fresh 😞

edit - after a couple of hours of trial and error, this post https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/modify-a-published-report/td-p/235194 pointed out to try to turn off a scheduled refresh before publishing the new report/dataset. Doing that allowed things to work, thank god

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I know that should work perfectly fine.

If you want to make 100% sure I would suggest creating a new App Workspace and testing the method you outlined below.

Once you know your new App Workspace works exactly as expected you can then make the change to your existing App Workspace.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, it seemed to work in terms of retaining who can see the report, the only problem is that the dataset didn't migrate properly for some reason and every single visual on the report was saying there was an issue with finding certain fields, so I'll probably just have to upload it fresh 😞

edit - after a couple of hours of trial and error, this post https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/modify-a-published-report/td-p/235194 pointed out to try to turn off a scheduled refresh before publishing the new report/dataset. Doing that allowed things to work, thank god

Awesome, glad you got it all working!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors