Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vrocca
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Replacing dataset everytime a report is updated removes Q&A functionality

Hi all,

While making updates to an existing report and re-publishing, I am forced to replace the existing dataset. This in turns appears to make power bi have to re-index my data again, resulting in downtime for the Q&A functionality.

Is there a better way to do this? 

Thanks,
Victor Rocca | www.victorrocca.com
8 REPLIES 8
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@vrocca

When featured Q&A questions are not displayed after you replacing dataset, can you try to refresh the browser page to see if the featured questions can be show in Dashboard Q&A?

And can you see this problem if using a smaller dataset instead of current one?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hi @v-haibl-msft - I haven't tested with a smaller dataset. Refreshing the browser does not seem to work either. One thing I tried that seems to bring the questions back is to go the Settings->Datasets and modify a question, revert it back to the original, and then apply the changes. Also, unchecking and re-checking the "Turn on Q&A for this dataset" feature for the dataset seems to speed up the process to re-enable Q&A functionality.

Thanks,

@vrocca

If possible you can try with the same dataset but import less data to make it smaller. So that we can judge that whether the dataset size is the cause. I’ve tried in my side but cannot repro the same issue as you. When you type the question in Q&A, did you get the yellow line under the keywords? The Q&A experience should be interactive and fast. Powered by an in-memory storage, response is almost instantaneous.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

How are you replacing your dataset? When I republish via Desktop, it replaces my dataset but my Q&A settings, including featured questions are retained.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I had renamed the original report & dataset directly in Power BI first, and so when the report was re-published it created a brand new report/dataset (as expected). When replacing an existing dataset, you are correct, I am able to keep the Q&A functionality enabled, and the featured questions remain. But the Q&A service seems to go down and I can't get results to my questions and I get a "We're having trouble finding answers right now. Please try again later." Also, in this screen my featured Q&A questions are not displayed.

Thanks,

Hmm, that last part doesn't seem right but I was testing with a very small dataset. After I republished, when I clicked on the Q&A box, I could see my featured questions displayed still. Is this a fairly large dataset?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

It's about 7M records on the main fact table, so not large by database standards, but not sure how Power BI handles it....

Thanks,

So it took about an hour this time for the Q&A to start working again on the dataset, and I'm able to see the featured questions again and get data returned. 

I think there should be a separation of dataset and report when publishing. I can't see what Power BI does in the backend with Q&A, but my guess is that it has to re-index everything everytime the dataset is replaced, even if the data hasn't changed, which in turn has a direct impact on the Q&A functionality. 

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors