Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SELECTDBA
Advocate I
Advocate I

Replacing Gateway Servers in a Clustered Instance

Hello;

We need to replace all of the servers in a Power BI Gateway Cluster (upgrading from Windows Server 2012 R2 to 2016).  We have three servers in the cluster today, and our plan to do the upgrade is as follows:

1.  Build a new Gateway server (Server 2016) and add it to the Cluster (server is 04).  

2.  Remove server 03 from the Cluster, rebuild it with the same name but running Server 2016, and add it back to the cluster.  Continue this process with servers 01 and 02. 

My questions are:

1.  How do you remove a Gateway from Cluster?

2.  The Cluster takes on the name of the first gateway, so what happens when you remove that server from the cluster?

3.  Are there any issues running a Cluster with different Server OSes, as long as the version of the Gateway software is the same?

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

You can simply uninstall the gateway from server and that node will become inactive in Gateway server
Once you are ready with server 2016 install the gateway apllication and during configuration pick Migrate option

arvindsingh802_0-1647023452860.png

Select your cluster and node that you want to restore also need to enter recovery key
Now you need to do this for other two servers

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors