Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nimishnagpal13
Frequent Visitor

Replace Live Connection Dataset with PowerBI Premium Model Dataset

We are migrating from OnPremise SSAS to PowerBi Premium Capacity and the biggest roadblock for us is on how do we switch the existing dataset connection to the new Workspace Connection so that our existing connected reports do not break.

Current Scenario:  The Main Shared Dataset is connected to On-Premise SSAS (using Gateway) and the dataset is used by 50+ reports in different workspaces.

nimishnagpal13_0-1637143085299.png

I can set up a PowerBI Premium Model in the Workspace and use it for new reports.

nimishnagpal13_2-1637143993867.png

Problem

I am unable to use the Premium Dataset for all the existing reports that are linked to Old Dataset.

These are the workarounds I have tried.

OPTION 1

I have already tried using Workspace Connection in the Analysis Server Connector on the PowerBi Desktop and tried to publish. It doesn't allow to OVERWRITE the existing dataset when the connection string is the PowerBi Premium Workspace Connection.

Workspace Connection : powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/MainWorksapce 

OPTION 2

Used REST API to Update the Datasource of the Old Dataset to the new Workspace Connection. But the REST API returns an error.

OPTION 3

Used HotSwap External tool, to swap the Connection type for the OLD Dataset PBIX file on the PowerBi Desktop. The tool allows swapping the Analysis Services Connector to PowerBI Dataset Connector on the PBIX file in Desktop App. On Publishing the PBIX, it created a NEW Dataset INSTEAD of OVERWRITING the existing dataset. As a result, I get 2 datasets in the same workspace with the Same Name but different DatasetID. (This doesn't solve the problem)

Please provide a solution to this issue as this must be a roadblock to many businesses, who wish to migrate to PowerBI Premium Infrastructure.

2 REPLIES 2
nimishnagpal13
Frequent Visitor

Assigning the capacity to the workspace doesn't solve the problem I described above.

In fact, both the datasets in context are in Premium Capacity Workspaces.

I have 50+ reports connected to Shared Dataset (whose Datasource is Live Connector to SSAS)

I need to move these 50+ reports to Dataset (datasource is Premium Model)

Is it possible?

v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nimishnagpal13 ,

You can assign a capacity to this workspace. But prerequisites, the workspace should be new workspace.

Upgrade workspaces 

Assign a workspace to a capacity 

vchenwuzmsft_0-1637556547708.png

After this, the old workspace will have been in the  Premium capacities.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors