Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ada4420
Advocate I
Advocate I

Replace Dataflow code

We created 2 separate workspaces for Dataflows, one as a Development workspace and another as a Production workspace. We develop and test in Development and then migrate/promote to production. 

The problem is after the Production dataflow is up and running and over time we determine that changes need to be made we:

Make the changes in the Development workspace, test it out, feel good about it. We want to take that modified dataflow from one workspace and move it over and REPLACE the existing dataflow in the production workspace.

How do we do that?  We do not want to import a new json file, which creates a new dataflow, we want to completely replace the existing dataflow (so that the dataflow ID remains intact), as there are multiple dependencies on the specific dataflow (ID).

So, how do we overwrite a dataflow with new code so that the dataflow ID remains intact?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
6 REPLIES 6
retailbusiness
Frequent Visitor

I had the same problem and I found an easy workaround! Open in different tab power query editor for  both test and production workflows and use ctrl-c , ctr-v to copy paste queries , folders etc. 

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @ada4420,

I don't think that is possible at the moment.

If you think it should be added as a feature, you could post it as an idea over here.

A workaround might be to go to the advanced editor in Development, copy the code and paste it in the Production workspace?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Thanks for the suggestion @nickyvv .

This would work if there was a single entity in the dataflow, but we have dataflows with multiple entities as well as multiple queries within each entity.  We would have to replace the code in each query. I will submit this as an Idea! Thanks again.

Hi @ada4420 ,

Have you submited an idea? If yes, please share the link here and accept your answer as a solution. Then more people who have the same request will find it quickly. 

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @ada4420 ,

You could accept your answer as solution. Then others who have the same request will find it easily and vote it up to get the feature fixed quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors